Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 8 years ago

Is it common for British and US troops to fight alongside other countries in Afghanistan?

Like in this video about the attack in Kabul. It shows US soldiers fighting alongside soldiers from another country. If someone could tell me what country the other soldiers are from i'd appreciate that as well. How common is this kind of thing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6AM8VpwMJc

Youtube thumbnail

&NR=1

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Best answer

Have you ever heard of ISAF. Check out the link for countries/troop numbers/ and combat region.

• Steve
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Macedonian flag on the uniform, so Macedonian Soldiers.

R.E the above, i personally don't hate being alongside the U.S. troops at all, there is not a lot of difference between us anyway that i can tell. It is all just Inter country banter but when it comes down to it we always seem to get on well together when needed.

Most people who put the other Country down have probably never even worked alongside any Allies i think.

Source(s): British Para
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Countries within Nato do work together in Afghanistan, however the different countries have different tactics and opinions of strategy in Afghanistan and therefore it isn't often to find 2 infantry units from different countries working together.

What i mean is that British troops in Helmend can/are supported by Danish Tanks and american EOD teams.

• 3 years ago

None, the government is in basic terms too vulnerable and is is terrified of frightening (present day) minority communities, plus the reality the united kingdom is being dictated to by ability of the unelected bureaucrats from the ecu. there is not any doubt that the united kingdom will grow to be an islamic state interior the subsequent 50 to a hundred years.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 years ago

@ Harry

after my first tour i can now say that severing alongside the U.S is hell. my first tour and i was leading their officers. and when they get in the fight its all gun hoe and they either go crazy or the marines take their time. but its horrific we are running all over our camp what was a small compound. and the U.S were calling in a Apache heli when there was RPG and heavy fire and the area was hot. the had stingers aswell. well in the end we took over we had 2 injured and the U.S lost around 7-10 god rest there souls.

What age are you 12?

Call of Duty is not serving in Afghanistan in real life, so please get out of the bedroom, get some professional medical help to detox from online games, find a chav and have a shag you really will feel better for it.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

after my first tour i can now say that severing alongside the U.S is hell. my first tour and i was leading their officers. and when they get in the fight its all gun hoe and they either go crazy or the marines take their time. but its horrific we are running all over our camp what was a small compound. and the U.S were calling in a Apache heli when there was RPG and heavy fire and the area was hot. the had stingers aswell. well in the end we took over we had 2 injured and the U.S lost around 7-10 god rest there souls.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

@Roger Ramsbottom You realized that more British troops died by other British troops than American troops firing at British troop?

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

It is very common... Cause of NATO nations providing support.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

yes but the British hate fighting alongside the yanks as more often than not most of their casualties come from friendly fire aka gung ho yanks with inadequate training and a childhood of blowing up things on a playstation pretending to be soldiers

• Essex
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

@ Roger

A British service member has NEVER been killed by US ground fire. Quit making things up. Although judging by your profile picture you seem to be a troll.

How about we list British friendly fire? So much for your so called superior British training and discipline. It's even worse when you consider that you have 90,000 less troops in Afghanistan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendly_fire

Afghanistan :

"Captain Tom Sawyer, aged 26, 29 Commando Regiment Royal Artillery, and Corporal Danny Winter, aged 28, Zulu Company 45 Commando Royal Marines, were killed by an explosion on 14 January 2009. Both men were taking part in a joint operation with a Danish Battle Group and the Afghan National Army in a location north east of Gereshk in central Helmand Provence. The MoD subsequently confirmed that two men died from friendly fire when they were hit in error by a Javelin anti-tank missile from British troops."

"On July 9, 2008, nine British soldiers from the 2nd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment were injured after being fired upon by British Army Apache helicopter while on patrol in Afghanistan"

"In the night on 14 January 2008 in Helmand Province, British troops saw some Afghans "conducting suspicious activities". Visibility was too bad for rifle-fire and they were too far away to call in mortar strikes. The squad decided to use a Javelin anti-tank missile missile they were carrying. British soldiers fired their missile on the nearby roof but the victims were their own Afghan army sentries. One Afghan soldier was killed."

"British soldiers in operations in Helmand Province, Afghanistan, fired Javelin anti-tank missiles at Danish soldiers from the Royal Life Guards, killing two.[80] It is also confirmed from Danish forces that the British fired a total of 6-8 Javelin missiles, over a 1½ hour period and only after the attack was completed did they realize that the missiles were British, based upon the fragments found after the incident."

"Lance Corporal Matthew Ford, from Zulu Company of 45 Commando Royal Marines, died after receiving a gunshot wound in Afghanistan on January 15, 2007, which was later found to be due to friendly fire. The final inquest ruled he died from NATO rounds from a fellow Royal Marine's machine gun. The report added there was no "negligence" by the other Marine, who had made a "momentary error of judgment".[74][75]"

"In Sangin Province, a RAF Harrier mistakenly strafed British troops missing the enemy 200 metres during a firefight with the Taliban in August 20, 2006. This angers British Major James Loden of 3 PARA, who called the RAF, "Completely incompetent and utterly, utterly useless in protecting ground troops in Afghanistan". British paratroopers even said that they rather prefer the US air-support over the RAF.[70][71]"

"On April 6, 2006, a British convoy in Afghanistan wounded 13 Afghan police officers and killed one, after calling in a US airstrike on what they thought was a Taliban attack.[69]"

"Sapper Mark Antony Smith, age 26, of the 36 Engineer Regiment, Royal Engineers, was killed by a smoke shell fired upon by British troops in Sangin Province, Afghanistan. The MoD is investigating his death and said a smoke shell, designed to provide cover for soldiers working on the ground, may have fallen short of its intended target."

"A British Military Police officer was shot dead by a fellow British soldier while on patrol.[87] It was reported that no charges are to be brought against a British army sniper who killed a British Military Policeman because he was allowed to open fire if he believed that his life was in danger."

Iraq War :

"Fusilier Kelan Turrington, of the 1st Battalion, Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, was killed by machine-gun fire from a British tank."

"British Royal Marine Christopher Maddison was killed when his river patrol boat was hit by missiles after being wrongly identified as an enemy vessel approaching a Royal Engineers checkpoint on the Al-Faw Peninsula, Iraq."

"During a raid on 16 July 2006 to apprehend a key terrorist leader and accomplice in a suburb of North Basra, Cpl John Cosby, of the Devonshire and Dorset Regiment, was killed by a 5.56 mm round from a British-issued SA80. It was ruled to be a case of friendly fire by the coroner. It was reported that the British forces who shot him were unclear about the rules of engagement"

"A British Challenger 2 tank came under fire from another British tank in a nighttime firefight. The turret was blown off and two of the crewmembers were killed."

"Sgt Steven Roberts, a tank commander of the 2nd Royal Tank Regiment, was accidentally shot and killed by a fellow British soldier during the incident at a roadblock at Az Zubayr near Basra on March 24, 2003.[94] It was reported that no British soldiers were to be charged for his death."

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.