Ella Br asked in PetsHorses · 9 years ago

Can Shetland ponies live out with larger horses?

I have recently acquired two shetland ponies, at the moment they are living in a separate paddock to my two horses (16hh and 14.3hh). Eventually we want to get them sharing the same fieldwith my horses but penned off into different areas. Obviously the perfect option would be to have them all living together in the same enclosure, but is it safe to do so? Are there any reasons why we should not introduce them properly and slowly then allow all of them to live together?

Yes they can, I know of a Clydesdale stallion that is kept with a Shetland pony.

You just need to be careful in the spring time where grazing is concerned, small ponies can easily become fat and prone to laminitis, they should be kept on relatively limited grazing and separated if you intend to have the others on good grass.

If there appears to be any arguments then separate them, although Shetlands are hardy little ponies anyway.

• R.P.D.

The ponies should be ok with your larger horses. In herds, horses will establish a pecking order. There is usually a leader who directs the behavior of the others. The ponies will probably be on the lower end of this pecking order but as long as the ponies respect the larger horses everything will be fine.

We have owned both Welsh and Shetland ponies. The only time we had problems was when we bought a Welsh gelding. We discovered he was proud-cut. He was always picking fights with the larger horses. The only way to know for sure is to put the horses in separate pens across from one another for a short while and see how they react. Then put the ponies in with the larger horses for short periods of time until the rest of the herd accepts them.

Yes, they can be put in the same paddock. I used to have a Shetland gelding who actually was best friends with my Arabian Mare. They went every where together. It was cute.

You just stick them in the pasture with the horses and see what happens. They will fight a bit as they are trying to determine positions in the herd. If they fight for more than a few hours or the horses are seriously hurting the ponies you need to get the ponies out and put them in their own paddock.

Source(s): Owned a Shetland Pony, who's best friend was an Arabian Mare.

yes, as long as they get along, my friend has Shetland pony that shares a paddock with her champion dressage horse who is 18.1hh! and they are fine :) although he can pretty much fit under his belly.

just make sure the bigger ones don't start 'bullying' the Shetlands, cz they will obviously receive more damage than the horses will!

Im kinda a fan doin it the natural way.(Let them go free in a pasture) when i got another horse, we kept the gelding and mare separate for like a week. then we brought my horse into the same pasture as the mare. they both were yelling and screamin. and they kicked and nipped a few times. but thats what horses do, horses play, horses kick, the bite. I would say just let them all into the biggest pasture you got and see how it goes. there will some action. but probably nothing to crazy. if you are worried bring an air horn or something really loud to get there attention if they start goin for each other necks. you should expect them chasing each other, kicks some nips and screams. But like i said if they get too crazy for your likings, find something loud or some food to detract them.

Source(s): my horses, and a ranch i have worked at.
  • Of course, Shetland ponies are often used as companion horses.

yes, my pony is out with 2 shetlands and some other larger horses and they get along fine xx

introduce them slowly and they should be fine, btw you only have one horse because 14.3hh is a large pony not a horse, for it to be a horse it has to be over 15hh (that was just an FWI) but yeah, they should all get along fine together but when you are first introducing them have a fence between them and just let them touch noses (do that in a morning) and then in the evening or late afternoon let the ponies in with the other horse and pony for 5 minutes only and then take them out, if all goes well do the exact same the next day but for 10 minutes and so on

Yes, they should be fine. I know of an 18hh Warmblood kept with a Shetland. Just make sure there is not way it could get out!

shetland ponies make great companions for other horses, no matter what size. just make sure you have a fence that doesn't have big gaps in where they can get through.