Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 8 years ago

What is your opinion of Weird Al's GaGa Parody of Born This Way?

he called it "Perform This Way"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss_BmTGv43M

Youtube thumbnail

Do you agree with the message of the video / song?

You mean that you shouldn't take an over-the-top performers' antics (including Al's) too seriously? Yes, I would agree with that message.

I don't really understand why so many people seem to think the song makes fun of Lady Gaga... it's actually defending her by straight out proclaiming that all her weirdness and insanity is an act (which it is...).

That said, it's not my favorite of his parodies. It's not even my favorite on his new album (Party in the CIA is much, much funnier). But it's far from being his worst.

He tried to parody a parody. Extremely difficult and it didn't jell. In other words, Lady Gaga doesn't take herself too seriously to begin with. I think her act is a parody of Madonna and herself and all the other outrageous performance artists. In short, I enjoy what she does, and think she is brilliant at it. So, it was a big bite for Weird Al to try for. Didn't work.

It's not Christmas at Ground Zero.

• Kurt

First, never take Weird Al seriously. And as you can see from the fact that she acts normal in interviews, Lady Gaga is not some insane person, she just has a unique onstage persona and has even admitted to that. So yes, the message is dead on. However, as a parody, I think Weird Al could have made a funnier song about Lady Gaga.

Lady Gaga>beard al

• ?

i heard he felt bad for his parody of this song , because the song was like a "gay pride song" and made many gays happy, if memory serves correct he donated all the money he made from that song to some gay rights champaign so he could sleep at night.

I thinks it just weird al up to his 'ol tricks again, weird al never usually tries to put a message into his parodies, its just comedy.

It's not very good, nothing personal, it's just it's childish and immature. Weird Al used to be amazingly funny with "Smells Like Nirvana" as it actually poked fun at Nirvana, while this is just a cheap rhyme to waste people's time.

• Ryan

first off, there is no message he just picks on people. Secondly I love the song it hilarious