Would you take a lie detector test to keep your job?

One time, the management of a casino I was working in announced they had decided that all of the employees would have to take a lie detector test. Mandatory. No exceptions.

A few employees got really upset. Quit their jobs rather than take the lie detector. Said they could not work in a place where they were not trusted.

And before my turn came up, the boss called me into her office. Shut the door. And asked me directly whether or not I was willing to take that test. I kind of think she would have quietly made some kind of arrangement to excuse me, if the test upset me. I know I was a valued employee. Over the years. I had received little perks and rewards for a job well done.

Anyway, I told her that once when I was having a problem with dizzy spells, I had had an EEG to try to determine the cause. That had been an interesting experience So, I looked forward to this test as another experience. I wasn't afraid of it, as I am honest, have never done anything wrong.

And then, when the results came in, boss called me into her office to read my results. Inside my folder was one sheet of paper. It said "Probably the most honest employee you have."

Would you willingly take that test? Or would you get upset and quit rather than take it?

Favorite Answer

I'd have nothing to hide, since I'm an honest worker. I'd have no problems taking the test. Those other workers you mention who quit their jobs simply do not understand what is it to RUN a business. The nicest kinds of people could be the most dangerous ones. Seeing how this was a casino, I can see the need for it, especially if money had been going missing or something.

Basically, I wouldn't feel insulted. I would willingly take it.

I would take the test, because I'm an honest person and I try to be a good employee. Plus I like getting a pay check.

Any job I have, I would hope that my employers would know enough about lie detector tests and their dodgy science to not even ask anyone to take them - in the UK they cannot be used in a court of law as they are unreliable. I'd have nothing to hide, but refuse to take the test. I wouldn't quit - I'd fight a legal battle not to do it - I would win!

i would quit too, if i'm not trusted than why would i work for them?, it's not about being caught in a lie. i'm a very honest person and if people can't see that, screw them.

Yeah, I think I'm a pretty good liar so that would be a good opportunity to see how good I really am ;)

Yes (:

yes, i would. why not?