Guitar riffs, basslines and drum beats!?

Hey all, So I'm in a hard rock band, with a guitarist, vocalist, bassist and drummer - the way we have it at the minute is the bass guitar and drums set the foundation of a song, then the guitar riffs differ from the main beat/rhythm of the song to sort of push it forward, then the vocals on top. I think... show more Hey all,

So I'm in a hard rock band, with a guitarist, vocalist, bassist and drummer - the way we have it at the minute is the bass guitar and drums set the foundation of a song, then the guitar riffs differ from the main beat/rhythm of the song to sort of push it forward, then the vocals on top. I think this is the way Black Sabbath do it, my question is - is this way common, or is it better/more acceptable to have the guitar, bass and drums all match up and play the same stuff?