sod
Lv 4
sod asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 8 years ago

does juicing really work?

or is it a waste of time because you should eat them?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Avalon
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Best answer

Juices are concentrated forms of the nutrients contained in the fruit and vegetables. The nutrients are extracted from the fibre a job normally conducted by your digestive system. It would be impractical to consume the same amount of vitamins and minerals from the whole raw produce - 1 cup of carrot juice will give you the same nutrients as 4 cups of raw chopped carrots. You'd need to eat 1lb of raw celery to equal 1 cup of it's juice.

You can mix juices to get optimum nutrients and because it's in liquid form they are absorbed straight away.

So yes juicing does really work

Source(s): " The Juice Book" by Gwyneth Dover
  • 8 years ago

Juicing does do what it says. You get the same amounts of nutients say, as if you ate 10 carrots (which most people could not do) in a glass of home made carrot juice. It condenses down the nutrients in any judicable fruit or vegetable, allowing you to get tons of nutrients without eating more produce than you physically can.

However, juicing isn't practical for most people to be doing all the time. A juicer has multiple parts and takes a good 10 minutes after every use just to clean. Beyond that, it is far more expensive to buy the amounts of produce you will need for fresh juice every day than to buy organic juice in bottles at the store. For most types of produce, expect to need about 2lbs of produce for each glass of juice. It can add up fast! You also have to remove rinds and chop up the fruit before putting it in the juicer, which is time consuming. Then, there is also the fact the juice does not keep for very long, and it must be consumed within a day, or it will go bad. So while having a juicer is a nice thing when you want a special juice not available in stores, it's otherwise a big, expensive pain in the butt.

Source(s): Bought a juicer, and was VERY disappointed in how inefficient it was
  • 8 years ago

I would suggest to consider drinking smoothies instead.

They have the same advantage (that the cells of the fruits are already broken up, so you get the phytonutrients easier and more effectively) but not the disadvantages (you drink the energy of 2 pounds of apples, which adds a lot of energy to your daily calory consumption).

Also, apart from the water that is contained in the fruit being about the best water you can get - alkaline, healthy, natural, the soft fiber in fruit and vegetables is also the best fiber you can get to aid your digestion and fill your stomach to satiate your appetite - much better than the harsh fiber you can get from oat brans or similar.

So here's what I do every morning ... I put an apple, a pear, some grapes, a banana and whatever other nice fruit happens to be in season in my blender together with water and some deep-frozen spinach or kale (fresh is even better if it is in season) and blend it to pieces. Gives some thermos bottles of delicious green smoothie that I drink in the office instead of eating whatever snacks. Also, cleaning the blender jar takes about 20 seconds - much less than a juicer.

Source(s): "Eat to live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman or http://www.drfuhrman.com/ "The 80/10/10 diet" by Dr. Douglas Graham (great book on raw fruit-based diet) or http://foodnsport.com/ "Green for life" by Victoris Boutenko or http://www.rawfamily.com/
  • 8 years ago

Well I would say no, not long term. It is important to eat roughage to help break down foods and also when you are juicing fruits you are drinking a lot of sugars which is not good for you.

I would just reduce portions or eat healthy if your diet is not as good as you like!!!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Eating whole foods is the healthiest way to get your nutrition. Adding juice to smoothies is fine but juicing should not replace eating whole foods.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.