Why do people believe in god even though there has never been any evidence of god's existence?

I'm just curious.
Update: Nahga- Then enlighten me. Show me the proof.
Update 2: And just how are quotation marks in any way relevant to this question?
Update 3: Rev Wing Wang Poo Poo- Are you kidding me? You call me gullible for NOT believing in God? Your faith is based on absolutely nothing.
Update 4: Anonymous- Well yeah, I guess there could be something out there. And there may in fact be, but the Christian God, all this "worship me or go straight to hell" business.... It's just too ridiculous. And in my opinion downright stupid. I'm not saying other people can't believe in this but to me it just makes no sense. show more Anonymous- Well yeah, I guess there could be something out there. And there may in fact be, but the Christian God, all this "worship me or go straight to hell" business.... It's just too ridiculous. And in my opinion downright stupid. I'm not saying other people can't believe in this but to me it just makes no sense.
Update 5: Oh wow I just now got what you meant. I didn't notice those quotations at first, took me a second to get it.