Should you buy a house before getting married?

I know traditionally it is the other way around ie you get married and then you buy a house. But these days most people seem to be of the opinion that you should use your money to make a sound investment in property rather than spending it on a costly wedding. I have been with my fiance for 8 years and we are... show more I know traditionally it is the other way around ie you get married and then you buy a house. But these days most people seem to be of the opinion that you should use your money to make a sound investment in property rather than spending it on a costly wedding.

I have been with my fiance for 8 years and we are getting married next year, we live together at the minute and rent, i want to buy a house but not right now, i like the freedom of renting and we are still young (26) and if we found good jobs elsewhere we might want to emigrate so we feel we would
like to leave it a few years, we are ready to get married.

People keep commenting that we should buy a house first, is this the sensible thing?