Should you buy a house before getting married?

I know traditionally it is the other way around ie you get married and then you buy a house. But these days most people seem to be of the opinion that you should use your money to make a sound investment in property rather than spending it on a costly wedding.

I have been with my fiance for 8 years and we are getting married next year, we live together at the minute and rent, i want to buy a house but not right now, i like the freedom of renting and we are still young (26) and if we found good jobs elsewhere we might want to emigrate so we feel we would

like to leave it a few years, we are ready to get married.

People keep commenting that we should buy a house first, is this the sensible thing?

Favorite Answer

I would never, never buy a house with someone I was not married to. It can cause a lot of problems if the relationship turns sour. It is not a matter of buying a house or having a costly wedding. You can have a modest wedding and then make a down-payment on a house when you both agree that you are settled and ready to do so.

• David

Yes it's the traditional sensible thing to do.

By that I mean historically houses have increased in value in the US and therefore even if you broke up etc it was the right thing to do.

However in the US there are millions of homes that have been foreclosed upon and millions of people (including those who took the tax credits last year) are now in negative equity situation (ie the mortgage is higher than the value of the house).

So my advise would be to wait and see where the market is going before you buy.

It would be a sensible thing to out as much cash into savings as possible - this can be used as a deposit when you're sure you actually want to buy. In fact it's a good idea to work out the rough cost of a mortgage and save it (less your current combined rent). You save paying interest later plus you will pay a lower rate of interest (due to the deposit) plus you will have banks falling over themselves to offer you mortgages. They LOVE people who can out down a deposit.

From a romantic view,it gives you both the freedom to move where you want and sample different areas.

Maybe this is too logical but unless you're pretty sure you'll live in the house forever, or the market has reached rock bottom, why tie yourselves down to a debt that may lose you the money you would have spent on a dream wedding ?

Source(s): Interested follower in RE etc

True, homes are cheaper these days, but I don't think it is a good idea.

EVEN if you know for a fact that you are getting married next year, without a doubt in your mind, and even though you have been with him for 8 years, and already live together, you never can tell what can happen in the future.

And then with out being married the whole "who-gets-what" battle will ensue and most likely not end well for one of you or the other.

I agree with you. You are both young, and there is a lot of stress that comes along with being a home owner. If the plumbing needs repair YOU are responsible..etc...

Just wait a couple years. you'll be glad you did.

I would say yes... Buy a house is an investment too not just a place to live and with both your names on the house you can be sure if it don't work you still would have something coming $$$. Plus you already been dating long enough to know if he is a loser or not.

Why wait housing is so low right now and you never know what it will be next year.

she gets 1/2 the equity earned on the house while married. other wise all guys would buy a house a year or so before getting married,if that was all it took for her not to have any rights to the house.

There is no connection between marriage and home ownership.

You can be married when you want and rent for the rest of your lives, really. One does not depend on the other.

Even if you buy it before you get married, if something happens, 99% of the time, it's community property.

Source(s): Bought a house before i was married.

If you are both on the deed and mortgage your interest and responsibilities are secured legally.

i wouldn't

• Ron

No.

Source(s): Experience on the matter