Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

Why is life in America so boring and depressing?

I've 23, & I've lived in different countries in different continents for about 8 years as my dad was in the military, & I was blown away by how people's day to day life in those nations seemed so much happier & more exciting than those of us who live in the US. There weren't many fancy electronics, but they had fun regardless. Now that I'm back in the US, I've became highly aware that life in the US is a bit dull. Everything's the same routine. Most stores are the same (replicas), you don't see people on the sidewalks, people are to themselves, most places close around 9pm... it's boring. Am I the only one who's noticed this? I've seen most of the continental US, btw.

Favorite Answer

You are right. I left. Places close around 9 P.M. because it is too dangerous to stay open late.

It used to be cool here. But, yeah, I agree. It is depressing here. I don't know about boring. That's pretty subjective. It is a depressing place though unless you're rich. I mean the middle-class is ever shrinking, and the taxes keep going up and up. You practically have to make 150,000 per year with two incomes just to raise a family in California without being in the poor house. The corporations have ruined this country and turned us into a depressed society. Look at all the kids being put on Ritalin, etc. They are lining up at the school nurses office in the morning to get their pill fix. It never used to be like this. Look at all these people on these anti-depressant pills! It's astounding and it's not natural I'm telling you.

Corporate Greed, Republicans/Conservatives, and the Religious Right who wants to take over.

Plus a terrible lack of Scientific Education. Too many people here think science means 'boring' and nasa is a waste of money, stuff like that. But they sure love them cell phones and video games that Science gave them. They have no goal except to be an american idol or go to heaven.

• We work too hard. 40 hours a week is unnatural.

Fact even Europeans work too hard if you believe anthropologists who say stone age culture normally work only 4 hours a day!

and we are fat and lazy, despite having this gorgeous Continent. .

It's all in what you are looking for. Booze, drugs, parties.... you can find them....dancing, swimming, skiing, etc, you can find them.... Just look in the right place.

Maybe you want...fast, illegal life... and in the states, we have laws against some of that.

Speaking of technology... Japan heads the top of the line for that and China is coming up pretty fast, also.....Japan has stuff we don't even know about, they are years ahead of the USA, because of our import laws and such.

It just a different point of view... everyone goes through that stage in life... some sooner than others, some never do.

• My

You don't have money and that's why life seems boring here. Go to the big cities that's where the fun is at

Going on vacation is always more fun than everyday life.

Leave if you want to so bad. No ones holding you back.

Well...depends on where you are...

If you're in the heart of San Francisco, New York City, or Las Vegas...you're probably not gonna' be as bored as you are if you're living in (say)...

Bumphock, Iowa, 'scuse my French...

Probably because you are American and you see America as being "culture-less" because to you that is "normal". Where as other countries seem rich in culture, because it is foreign to you.