Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 9 years ago

What is the meaning of the word "Submit"?

"submit." In the original Greek the word means "to be in agreement". Is this correct...

• /\

No no..

The word "submit" comes from the Latin "submittere"

which means "to yield, lower, let down, put under, reduce."

Not Greek.

The Greek equivalent is "hupotasso"

which means:

1. to arrange under, to subordinate

2. to subject, put in subjection

3. to subject one's self, obey

4. to submit to one's control

5. to yield to one's admonition or advice

6. to obey, be subject

It was originally a military term..

Meaning Of The Word Submit

It sounds to me as more than just agreement. It sounds like a mesh network -- the highest communication, love and humility. There's a very good reason why Paul included a Holy Kiss with his description of submittal. A Holy kiss cannot be faked, nor can it be commanded, but can only come from an alignment of personalities so close that a kiss is the expression of that closeness. There are mockers of Paul's description of submittal because that kind of love among brethren isn't of this world and wannabies who force this behavior to try and bring back the Acts church end up being big fakes. No, Holiness cannot be faked. Paul shouldn't of even wrote about it because that joy in the Lord is often misinterpreted and warped. That joy can only come by the Holy Spirit.

I don't know how old this thread is but in Islam, the word "submit" means to give ones will and life to Allah. Islam means literally to submit to God's will - to devote all of ones' life to Allah. Personally, I think it's an abhorrent concept and contrary to the precepts of Christianity, even though Mohamed claimed to be speaking for Allah. The Koran is supposed to be the word or Allah, as told to the prophet Mohamed by Allah. I give you the Islamic version here even though I don't believe it. Mohamed had others write it down since he was illiterate, but despite that defect,he was an able military leader for his time and had many successful conquests, which might account for his historical popularity.

If you're interested in my personal opinion, based on reading the Koran, I think he began talking for Allah and eventually thought of himself as a god. If you read the Koran, Mohamed begins by speaking about Allah and his wishes and eventually includes himself in the narrative. The semi-amateur psychologist in me wants to label him as a paranoid schizophrenic with delusions of grander. A bit ironic that millions of people on the planet take his word literally as gospel. Not that strange, if you consider the religion of Scientology. Apparently nut-jobs of all strata have been hood-winked by a science-fiction author inventing a religion.

In closing let me say I think most of humanity are idiots!!

To submit is to yield or surrender yourself to the will or authority of another person. However to submit something (an object) is to hand over or present it for the consideration and possibly approval of others. It can also mean to suggest or propose something. Hope this helps.

Obey and submit are used in the same verses in 1 Peter 3:1 Wives, likewise, be submissive to your own husbands, that even if some do not obey the word, they, without a word, may be won by the conduct of their wives.

We say things like, "I want to be in God's will", or "abide in the vine", or "seek Jesus". Those are all true and I hope to ever more so say and do those things. Perhaps we can consider in the same way, "obey" and "submit" as opportunity. We may wrestle or have difficulty, but hope and pray that we have confidence and peace in THe Holy Spirit confirming these things to us.

If I can use a little liberty here, I'll use the word "you" for example sake....

I need and have a knowing that I better want to obey and submit to God; to know that this is better. In the way of The Spirit; there are provisions that my wife should know my Spirit as being what God wants; that there's a likeness of Jesus in me. One area where it gets tough is when "Jesus" doesn't match or seem to match the husband; to that it tears us up inside for a woman's spirit to be oppressed; much of what's being oppressed is Jesus and The Holy Spirit. That makes us cry out as to why a person would need to go through this. It's such issues that I don't understand yet what God's workings are; but trust as he enables. In this verse, there's something of a telling to look for light at the end of the tunnel; something of the long reach of God's arm.... Without a word, that the husband may be won by your conduct. I envision that this "conduct" has much to do with the Holy Spirit in you.

...And then there's that little blue icon below that says, "Submit".

There's a passage in Galations 5 that talks about being called to freedom, and that's so much what we should be living in; being set free; living Christ is risen lives. A very detrimental usage of of the word "submit" which has do do with going back into submission of the law after you've been set free from the law.

Source(s): "To be in agreement" sounds like the tone of what "submit" or "obey" is. What God is seeking for in us is to be like his likeness. There's this logistics thing; the way it is, is that whenever there is any conversation, or whenever there is a project to be done that is discussed, someone is taking the lead; this lead, or "control" may change back & forth, but to say that no one is in charge; just doesn't happen. It can get to where in a group that you may observe that there are many leaders. Those situations where control is some people's aspiration for the sake of control, God really has to do a work in you to have peace and steadfastness.

No. It means to put yourself under something. Compare other words with the prefix 'sub': submarine=under the water, subconscious=under the level of consciousness, subcutaneous=under the skin, subbeuteo=under the beautiful game.

Blessings Rosalind, but you just defined 'submit' as 'inclined or ready to submit'. Cut and paste all you want my dear, bless you, but please try not to define a word with the word in question.

Sunmit means to enter put it like u submit ur awnsers u enter them In or put in like give to

Spiritually Submit is to surrender.

Yes it does my dear!

Submitting to Gods purpose is as being in agreement with Gods purpose.