TEFL teacher... need advice about TEFL?

Thanks if you can help me with your wisdom.

So... I LOVE Mexico... I have been teaching here for awhile... it's my favourite country but I am feeling disappointed about some things. I KNEW that salaries were not high here but I am really tired of struggling. Teaching EFL at a university would be great but I can't because I don't have a master's degree. I would rather be here than anywhere else in the world but I have gotten to the point where I don't earn enough as a TEFL teacher to live well. I'm not saying it's like that everywhere in Mexico, just that my situation is disappointing. It's an amazing country but my personal situation has really got me down!

I am really in a bind, and it's decision making time. I'm not sure where I would go if I were to leave. I love Latin America but I don't know how other people do it... live well with such low salaries. I have been to Spain and it's beautiful but as an American I feel like my chances of getting work there are slim. I love Mexico more, but sometimes I do miss Spain.

I understand that it's difficult, nearly impossible, for Americans to find TEFL jobs ANYWHERE because Americans are not well liked abroad. Is this true or have I misunderstood something? People in Mexico are friendly to everyone and I hate the thought of leaving, if I do I will come back ASAP.

Where would it be viable for a US teacher to teach EFL? Is there any way to teach EFL and save a substantial amount of money?

Thanks if you can help.

This is a common problem. Getting a masters degree would help, but it's expensive. You could try a few years in another country where you can save money. Americans do have a very good chance of being employed in most of South America and Asia, and in parts of Europe.

I've written an article on how to make money in TEFL, but most of the ways - not all - involve working in TEFL, but outside of teaching. Check the country profiles for TEFL opportunities around the world in the site below: