Toyota Scion Driver Door Wont Open?

I was over at a friend's house last night. When I went to leave I couldn't get the driver's side front door to unlock. I have a 2005 Toyota Scion.

The lock pops up about half way when I try to unlock it but gets stuck there. I entered the car through the passenger side door. From the inside I still couldn't get the door to open. I pull the latch to open the door but which pulls fine but does not open the door.

I tried putting the key into the lock. It turns but again the lock still gets stuck and the door doesn't open.

I tried pulling the lock up with a moderate amount of force but stopped when it wasn't working because I was afraid to cause more damage.

Any ideas what could be causing this and how I might be able to fix it (cheaply)?

Thanks for the help!

• bobweb
    Favorite Answer

Sounds like the driver's inside door panel has to be removed to see why the cable actuators are not controlling the actual door lock mechanism on the side of the door. My daughters cable broke recently so that the door handle wouldn't actuate the door lock. Typical cost to repair $250. If you could get the door open, you could spray WD-40 into the door lock and locking mechanisms hoping to get it working if a lock or handle cable hasn't broken. Price out the job at http://www.AutoMd.com Even the Toyota dealer will probably not have any needed new parts in stock because it's such an infrequent repair. Then you'll need to get a rental car from the Toyota dealer while your waiting for the part to arrive after they dis-assemble the door panel.