Which version/edition of each religion's holy book do you recommend that I read?

I've also posted this in the Religion & Spirituality section but it's not doing so well... anyway, here it is: I'm an atheist studying literature at university. I plan, at some point, to read the holy books of all the world's major religions. I believe it would be ignorant of me, as I am... show more I've also posted this in the Religion & Spirituality section but it's not doing so well... anyway, here it is:

I'm an atheist studying literature at university. I plan, at some point, to read the holy books of all the world's major religions. I believe it would be ignorant of me, as I am interested in and studying literature, not to read the pieces of literature which have shaped millions of lives for thousands of years. I also think it will help me to understand different religions more, because we only got a brief overview of them in school.

So my question is this: which particular version of each religion's holy book do you recommend that I read? Is there one edition or version that is regarded as the most accurate, or the most widely accepted? I'm grateful for any help you can give me.