?

Would Christians rather pray or go to a doctor when they get really sick?

Don't they trust god?

Ohh For crying out loud, Dr. Bob is correct, You know If your car is damaged, do you take it to a mechanic or wait for God to perform a miracle and heal your car? If the plumbing in your house bursts, do you wait for God to plug the leak, or do you call a plumber? God is just as capable of repairing a car or fixing the plumbing as He is of healing our bodies. The fact that God can and does perform miracles of healing does not mean we should always expect a miracle instead of seeking the help of individuals who possess the knowledge and skill to assist us.

Physicians are referred to about a dozen times in the Bible. The only verse that could be taken out of context to teach that one should not go to physicians would be 2 Chronicles 16:12. “In the thirty-ninth year of his reign Asa was afflicted with a disease in his feet. Though his disease was severe, even in his illness he did not seek help from the LORD, but only from the physicians.” The issue was not that Asa consulted physicians, but that “he did not seek help from the LORD.” Even when visiting a doctor, our ultimate faith is to be in God, not the doctor.

There are many verses that speak of using “medical treatments” such as applying bandages (Isaiah 1:6), oil (James 5:14), oil and wine (Luke 10:34), leaves (Ezekiel 47:12), wine (1 Timothy 5:23), and salves, particularly the “balm of Gilead” (Jeremiah 8:22). Also, Luke, the author of Acts and the Gospel of Luke, is referred to by Paul as “the beloved physician” (Colossians 4:14).

Mark 5:25-30 relates the story of a woman who had trouble with continual bleeding, a problem that physicians could not heal even though she had been to many of them and had spent all of her money. Coming to Jesus, she thought that if she but touched the hem of His garment, she would be healed; she did touch His hem, and she was healed. Jesus, in answering the Pharisees as to why He spent time with sinners, said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick” (Matthew 9:12). From these verses one might sift out the following principles:

1) Physicians are not God and should not be viewed as such. They can sometimes help, but there will be other times when all they will accomplish is the removal of money.

2) Seeking physicians and using “earthly” remedies are not condemned in Scripture. In fact, medical treatments are viewed favorably.

3) God's intervention in any physical difficulty should be sought (James 4:2; 5:13). He does not promise that He will answer the way we will always want (Isaiah 55:8-9), but we have the assurance that all He does will be done in love and thus in our best interest (Psalm 145:8-9).

So, should Christians go to doctors? God created us as intelligent beings and gave us the ability to create medicines and learn how to repair our bodies. There is nothing wrong with applying this knowledge and ability towards physical healing. Doctors can be viewed as God’s gift to us, a means through which God brings healing and recovery. At the same time, our ultimate faith and trust is to be in God, not in doctors or medicine. As with all difficult decisions, we should seek God who promises to give us wisdom when we ask for it (James 1:5).

Suggested Reading

Biblical Healing and Deliverance: A Guide to Experiencing Freedom

By: Chester Kylstra, Betsy Kylstra

http://www.christianbook.com/biblical-healing-deli...

No,they know it would be foolish to trust in prayers, but don't want to admit, prayers are a waste of breath...so they go to a doctor...but if the doctor cures them they quickly give the credit to prayers, or some imaginary god. That is how the christian mind works.......very inefficiently.

Yes we do trust God however, Jesus said that sick people need a physician. Lu 5:31 The Intelligent thing to do if one is sick is to seek medical help. Almighty God has nothing against that-Luke was a physician.

This is an intellectually dishonest question and is a false dichotomy.

Actually, I both pray AND go to the doctor. I even pray for the doctor.

I know a young man who was recently diagnosed with thyroid cancer. A group of people went to the hospital and prayed for the man and his surgeon as he was in surgery. The surgeon came out of surgery very early and talked with the man's parents, and told them there was absolutely no sign of cancer whatsoever. He said it was the most unusual thing he'd ever seen.

The family and friends were overjoyed, of course, and gathered around to say a prayer of thanks as the doctor left. The surgeon heard this, turned around and came back, asking if they'd been praying for the man during the surgery. He asked to join them -- still in his scrubs -- as they prayed a prayer of thanks. That's powerful stuff.

I trust God 100% that He will guide the doctor that treats me.

Your question reminds me of a story.

There was a great flood approaching a town. One man, who was very religious, knew that God would save him. As the water rose and it became impossible to walk or drive through, one of his neighbors came by in a rowboat to rescue him. He waved them off and said, "I have faith God will rescue me."

The water was rising swiftly and the man had to go to the second floor of his home. From there he watched debris swirl by and boats go by with rescued people and pets. A partially empty speedboat came beneath his window and offered him a ride to dry ground. The man again waved them off with the words, "I have faith, God will rescue me."

Soon the water filled the second floor of his home and he retreated to the roof of his house. The water showed no signs of abating and inched higher onto his roof. A helicopter hovered above and a man came down with a rope to lift him to the waiting chopper. To the astonishment of the rescue worker, the man refused with the statement, "I have faith and God will rescue me."

Night came and the waters continues to rise. In the morning the roof was under water and no sign of the man remained.

The man awoke in Heaven and stood before God. Puzzled, he asked God what happened. God said, "You drowned."

The man replied, "I had faith that You would rescue me! Where were You?"

God said, "I sent a rowboat, a powerboat and a helicopter."

People used to go look almost entirely to religion as their way to control their fate and lengthen their lives and reduce their pain. Gradually, more and more science becomes our way to control our fate, because it more and more science proves it's merit as religion fails to, particularly in treating physical health and suffering. Christians have and will pray less and look to science more as time goes on.

There have been many cases of children dying from easily treatable illnesses because their families chose prayer over medical treatment.

Trusting God leads to dead people.

• In 2006 I broke my arm. I was going to church that night. I just put it into a sling and waited and did not go to the doctor. I went to church, got prayed for, and my arm was healed.

Some of my family is catholic and my uncle once removed had a cancer that had about 5% chance of death instead of taking medicine they prayed and my uncle died.So I'm guessing in some cases.

we go to a doctor when we are sick, we pray that God will heal us.

• Annie

Yup, I sure do..... been to the dr only once in 20 years, so no , I had not learned to TRUST God...... when I was newbie, or new born in Christ...... had pneumonia...... I no longer make that mistake..... I am just fine and dandy.... thanks for caring..... : )