Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society?

Apparently,that quote comes from Aristotle the Greek.Can anyone explain what Aristotle was getting at with this quote?Thanks in advance.

He apparently meant that a society is only strong when actively intolerant and bent on the maximization of power.

WRONG. Tolerance is a virtue and the sign of a strong society that values the many strengths of a diverse population; 'out of many, one'.

The apathy we see more and more of is a problem and a result of the power-happy, intolerant, winner-take-all mentality from politicians and business.

• Carol4 years agoReport

How dare any one pretend to know what Aristotle meant when he wrote Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.

All you have to do is look at America and it's failure at Tolerance with their children. THEY OBEY NO ONE!

The fact that tolerance and apathy are NOT virtues seems to be the point here. It's a play on words to get the point across. The real question is, did Aristotle really say this... and if so, what literary work did it come from?

~~~ Crap!

Tolerance is the beginning of a new world, a new man!

Intolerance is a particularly schizophrenic feature of sapiens (or Republikkkans)!

Aristotle was obviously ignorant on the subject (and many others, too)!

I dont know what Aristotle was trying to say, but I know that tolerance and apathy are not virtues.

I don't know about Aristotle, but I'm okay with the fact that I don't care; if that helps any.

well what you see in europe today also happened in ancient greece. all the empires or cultural religious and political "hotspots" have moved around over the centuries. empires rose and fell. everything in life is subject to dynamics. standing still means the antagonist gains ground. even as we speak the earth spins constantly. if people have no more power or belief in their own set of laws/rules and religion it means an opposing force will take over.

His was a time of much uprising rebellion and war... hmm same as today huh odd innit!