Karen asked in HealthMental Health · 9 years ago

Can I give blood in the UK if I'm on risperidone and sertraline?

I'm on 6mg risperidone and 50mg sertraline. I also take 400mg ferrous sulphate.

Why not call the transfusion service and ask them?

I would think it would be unlikely that you'd be able to give blood whilst you're taking an iron supplement - ferrous sulphate - as this suggests that you lack iron in your blood.

You should ALWAYS tell the blood transfusion service about the medication you're taking. It's got nothing to do with whether or not you're stable - as an adult you're presumed to have the capacity to consent to or refuse medical treatment. You don't know what medication the person who will get your blood is taking, and some medicines can have dangerous interactions with each other. Risperidone can also cause problems for someone with liver or kidney disease. Basically, anyone getting a transfusion is likely to be pretty sick and pumped full of drugs, and any traces of random medication won't do them any good.

Respect to you for doing something public spirited! Good luck with it.

They will let you on the sertraline if you've been taking it for a few months but they wont on risperidone. Not because it effects someone else having your blood but because they consider you to be potentially unstable or whatever. I just don't disclose my meds anymore as they said i couldn't give blood until after i'd stopped taking risperidone which could be never. I don't know about ferrous sulphate.

• JOHN G

They will test your blood anyway, I don't give as I am on several types of medication plus 3 injections of insulin per day - For those who don't know you don't get paid for donating in the UK.

Confirmed Online Market ===> http://risperidone.w3org.pw/55r2o

• Naguru

If you are going to donate blood to the Blood Bank, please disclose these factual position to the Doctors there. They will decide.

Source(s): own