Ace asked in SportsRunning · 9 years ago

Which is better for trail running: a hydration pack or a belt for water bottles?

I'm planning to get into this sport and was planning to just get a hydration pack, but I was out hiking the other day and I saw a guy trail running with a belt designed to hold about 4 water bottles. What are the pros and cons of each of these options?

Favorite Answer

Hi.I would recommend getting a belt for the water bottles that is if you don't mind running with it around your waist.

Both have + and -

Hydration packs are great because you can carry a small snack or (depending on how long of a run your going) anything else you need, the downside is that the hydration pack has to fit very well for it to not bounce around alot (which eventually will make your shoulders hurt)

The water bottles are exactly that just water bottles no real room for anything else BUT its much less forgiving for when they are bouncing around

Source(s): used to sell both items

Id go with hydration packs because they are easier to use on the run rather then opening a water bottle, trying to drink it while trying not to spill water all over yourself, closing it and putting it back, with a hydration pack, all you do is sip and go