Composers who have stopped composing too early?

I have been listening today to the music of the famous conductor Igor Markevitch (1912-83, father of Oleg Caetani). Markevitch was one of the most promising composers of the post-Stravinsky generation, yet decided to cease composing altogether in 1941 at the age of 29 (having another 42 years to live). Are... show more I have been listening today to the music of the famous conductor Igor Markevitch (1912-83, father of Oleg Caetani). Markevitch was one of the most promising composers of the post-Stravinsky generation, yet decided to cease composing altogether in 1941 at the age of 29 (having another 42 years to live).

Are there composers you know about who, for whatever reason, stopped composing long before their deaths?
Update: Rossini and Sibelius are, indeed, obvious candidates, although Rossini did take-up the composition pen again late in life to compose his 'Péchés de vieillesse' (sins of old age), mostly small miniatures, but also a period which included the 'Petite messe solennelle' in 1864. Another composer who wrote his last... show more Rossini and Sibelius are, indeed, obvious candidates, although Rossini did take-up the composition pen again late in life to compose his 'Péchés de vieillesse' (sins of old age), mostly small miniatures, but also a period which included the 'Petite messe solennelle' in 1864.

Another composer who wrote his last work in 1885, aged 37 due to a mental illness called neurasthenia was Henri Duparc. He lived for another 48 years until 1933 without writing another note. This is a tragedy, as Duparc was one of the finest writers of French song ('chanson') I have encountered.

Charles Ives also 'retired' from composition to concentrate on his insurance company empire. He wrote almost nothing after his 'Three Quarter-Tone Pieces for Two Pianos' in 1924. He lived for another 30 years.

Any more?
7 answers 7