Is it possible to learn the piano by yourself?

I have found thousands of online lessons for beginners to learn the piano and was wondering, would they help? I want to play purely for my own enjoyment and I'm not perusing a career in music. I would like to know what FREE online lessons there are available for me that are the best to achieve intermediate level?

I'm a keyboardist in two bands and I'm entirely self-taught to something like grade 3 level. I can read music (pretty much mandatory for piano) and I can improvise, write songs for piano and arrange other songs to piano.

You'll want to look at the ZebraKeys website which I've found to be one of the best sites out there for piano. There's a series of free lessons covering beginner, intermediate and more advanced pieces, free sheet music and articles covering aspects of piano playing. The lessons are both video and text-based and so if you get stuck or prefer seeing the piece played, you can do so.

You'll also find the 8notes.com website helpful. There's some basic music theory lessons on there along with PDF and IMG files of free public domain sheet music for LOADS of different instruments. On the piano side of things there's pieces for solo and duet playing, all divided into levels of ease of playing.

Mutopia Project is also a useful site. It contains free sheet music in different formats completely free, including works of the most well-known composers including Mozart, Brahms and Bach.

The ABRSM (Royal School of Music) also publishes its own series of books for exam preparation, but these can be useful in learning step-by-step in a structured way without a teacher also. There are also test books which although written for those taking exams, can also be a useful way for you to see how well you're doing. Grade 1 is absolute beginners stuff, and you may find it totally tedious, but it's well worth just doing this to get your ear and technique right.

Rockschool also do a series which is more aimed at those people wanting to learn rock music on the keyboard, called Rock-Based Keys. There are grade exams for these which you can prepare for yourself (no teacher is needed- and I should know, I'd sat the grades 1 and 2 exams well before starting formal lessons) and enter yourself for examinations, and the benefit of this is that much of the exam material is well-known songs.

Source(s): http://zebrakeys.com www.mutopiaproject.org www.8notes.com http://www.rockschool.co.uk/ http://www.abrsm.org/en/home

Many people who want to learn to play the piano are put off by the idea of spending long, boring hours learning music notes. If you are serious about learning to play the piano, the first thing you will need to do is put those negative thoughts behind and start with an open mind. Read here https://tr.im/PianoLessons

It does take time and yes, you have to learn the music notes, but it does not have to be boring, and it certainly does not have to take forever before you learn to play on your own. Follow these seven steps carefully, and you’ll be playing your first songs independently in a very short time.

It's possible to learn pretty much any instrument by yourself. However, getting lessons never hurt. Having an instructor is helpful because they can usually notice and correct bad playing habits before they develop. I've also noticed that most musicians who pride themselves in being "self-taught" are typically clueless when it comes to music theory and conveying ideas to other musicians.

If you seriously want to learn, then don't be a freeloader: buy a lesson book. If you can afford a piano, you can afford a $4.95 spiral paperback!

Definetly possible, how hard, I'm not sure. My sister taught herself how to play piano by watching a video of someone playing her favorite song using the piano on youtube. She just kind of said "I'm going to do that" and did. Now she just watches videos of other people playing songs and gets on the Piano and does it. When she sets her mind to something though she does it, but I'm sure if you did too and stuck with it there would be now problem in you being the same.

Definitely! That's how my husband learn :)

2

1

Source(s): Improve Your Voice http://SingingLessons.fastsolut.info/?06V5

yes it is possible. there are thousands of people who teach themselves how to play. my friend even taught himself how to play guitar ^_^