What has become of the modern overture?

Answering a question about 'favourite operatic overtures' made me realise that all my examples were 18th and 19th century, despite my enthusiasm for more modern music as well as the 'classics'. Try as I might, I couldn't think of a single example from recent operatic repertoire. Has the overture... show more Answering a question about 'favourite operatic overtures' made me realise that all my examples were 18th and 19th century, despite my enthusiasm for more modern music as well as the 'classics'. Try as I might, I couldn't think of a single example from recent operatic repertoire. Has the overture been rendered redundant?

How many 'modern' overtures (say, from the beginning of the 20th century to the present time) - operatic or 'concert' overtures - do you know and regard highly?
Update: MissLimLam: I wish I'd remembered 'Candide' - I think the questioner wold have allowed it. What a fun piece that is! I know what you mean about Shostakovich's Festival Overture, although I do have a soft spot for it. He also wrote an 'Overture on Russian and Kirghiz Themes', but that's a very weak piece. I also... show more MissLimLam: I wish I'd remembered 'Candide' - I think the questioner wold have allowed it. What a fun piece that is! I know what you mean about Shostakovich's Festival Overture, although I do have a soft spot for it. He also wrote an 'Overture on Russian and Kirghiz Themes', but that's a very weak piece. I also love Prokofiev's 'Russian Overture' (no video on YouTube, apparently!)
Update 2: Talking of overtures from musicals etc reminds me of all those wonderful overtures Gershwin wrote!