How easy is it to cut your OWN hair,,,if buy an electric hair clipper kit?

usually the barber or hair stylist just takes a clipper with a "number 4 guard" across the top of my head and then a "number 3 guard " on the sides. I was told this is what i need for a "Crew cut" style of hair cut, which i always get..but I DONT KNOW WHICH SPECIFIC INCH OR MM SIZE... show more usually the barber or hair stylist just takes a clipper with a "number 4 guard" across the top of my head and then a "number 3 guard " on the sides. I was told this is what i need for a "Crew cut" style of hair cut, which i always get..but I DONT KNOW WHICH SPECIFIC INCH OR MM SIZE THIS IS? anyone know what a "number 4 guard" and a "number 3 guard" is?

and how easy is it to cut your own hair in a crew cut style with clippers? also, how easy is it to trim the back and around the ears yourself?

was thinking this will save me a lot of money in future..as well as be more conveniant. is true? do many people do this? especially men? if not, why not?

anything can explain appreciated.

thanks for your answers!