Eventvwr scam, what do I do?

Okay I know Im really f**king stupid, but it was first thing in the morning and I fell for this scam. I was called around 9am by some Indian guy and he was explaining to me that hes a registered Microsoft technician and had received a call alerting him that my IP address had a number of errors. He then told me to get to my PC and follow the steps to help me resolve these so called 'errors' once it was on he asked me to go onto run and enter Eventvwr (something like that) and when all the errors came up it shocked me and I wanted it fixed. So I just did everything he told me to do and eventually payed £46.99 for some security package. I then went downstairs turned on my other pc googled whether this was a scam and as soon as I found out I rushed upstairs turned off my laptop and internet and phoned my bank to cancel my card.

Am I still at risk, my card was cancelled about ten minutes after I selected 'make payment' as he had total control over my PC I'm afraid to turn my laptop as I think he might install malicious files.

What do I do! Arrghhhh (my bank only had £50 in it so they couldn't steal anything else)

If they had you install anything to actually control your pc then remove it...restore it to previous and check it actually uninstalled. If they used windows in built remote desktop then remove its settings.

Inform your service provider that you have falled for this, so that they can monitor the ip address you were on, then (and im assuming your on dynamic IP like most) turn off your router and wait 15-20 minutes and turn it back on. this gets you a fresh IP address from your provider and makes it harder for them to get back on anyway.

Run a antivirus scan on your machines and action anything that you find,

oh and remove any software they "sold" you as its probably infected with something..

I dont have to tell you as you realised but will post for others, anyone ringing you stating they are from or work in connection with microsoft (unless you rang them first) is probably lying, microsoft wont ring you unless you instigated it. Also they wont ask you for money or card details over the phone, do not give out information like this unless you know the source and have validated them like they should have validated you.

Calls like this are unfortunately very common and loads of people fall for it, you have done the right thing by telling the bank immediately. you should be fine.

With luck changing your ip and remote settings will be enough to cut them off. Just be vigilant for a while look for any unusual activity like activity lights when your not doing anything.

This scam is usually after your money not your pc (but not always)

• lewis

Eventvwr Scam

8/16/14 Same scam different MO. Two days ago a guy (foreign accent) called and said he was from msoft. I immediately hung up on the call. The very next day (yesterday), I rec'd a similar call but this time answered. I was obvious from the background noise that he was in a call center. He said he was a Microsoft technician and he knew my first name and windows 7. He told me that 'they' have detected a hacker on my computer and that it is urgent that I follow his instructions. So I played along. He wanted me to run 'eventvwr'. I said I will not run it until I find out what it does. So I opened up a window in IE, and Binged for eventvwr. I found that it was a scam. When I told the guy this, he immediately hung up on me. Additionally, he said that if I didn't run this that my computer would be "locked out". Just info for honest users out in cyber space.

• ?6 years agoReport

He is still at it 9/11/14 and I played along being dumb as he relentlessly tried to get me to type the command & tell what I found that he didn't hear me until 2nd time that I told him "2 of my kids are computer engineers, no way he was getting into my" He told me to go F myself and hung up on me!

As the post above says, you need to uninstall anything that has been recently installed on your computer and run a virus/malware scan. Most of the time these scammers are not selling you anti-virus, they are installing viruses/malware on your computer then will call later asking you for more money to remove this. He did install things on your computer -that's the main point of this scam to install keyloggers, viruses, malware, etc

There is also a chance that they copied everything on your computer depending how long you were on that remote access site. That site gave them access to everything - your files, emails, contacts, saved passwords, etc. To be safe change the passwords on your email, internet banking, credit card and any other financial or sites with personal information.

just had the Indian guy call me and do the 'records of your comp reporting errors' and type in the eventvwr but I googles eventvwr and got this about scam and said this to guy and he immediately hung up.

his phone number cannot be traced.

BEWARE !!!! I am receiving these scam calls 2-3 times every week. I keep "Mr. Bill Johnson" busy with silly questions, stalls, look for my reading glasses, have them repeat their instructions, and then BLOW a police whistle into the phone's mouthpiece. It will cost you hundreds of dollars should you fall for this phony "Microsoft Security" scam.

I knew nothing of the scam, but knew it was not legit. The caller ID says out of area and the number was hidden.

I kept them on the line for a long time acting stupid and trying to get as much info as I could, but didn't get enough. I tried to get a call back etc...

• Erika

Eventvwr

You can't do anything right now, as long as your card is cancelled you're safe. But you fell for it, you should pay more attention to avoid scams like that, next time it could be worse.

just tell them to hold on a minute and put the phone to one side. They are not allowed to hang up, usually for around 4 minutes, thus wasting their time and money