Does NBC's deal influence NHL Olympic participation?

NBC was just awarded US tv rights (per SBJ) to the 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2020 Olympic Games (their new NHL contract expires after the 2021 season). Will this help with negotiations between the league and the NHLPA regarding NHL participation in the 2014 and 2018 games (and will this possibly influence a bid to come from North America for 2018)?

Yeah, I think and I really hope this will help them Negotiate. It just wouldn't be fair too the Hockey Players and their fans, these are MY reasons lol :

1. Obviously, Russia would want to win on home Ice

2. Canada, would love to beat Russia on Russia's home Ice....hint of why Crosby was the first to stick up for all NHL Players and say they want to play in the 2014 Olympics.

3. USA would love a repeat of 1980.....only in Russia this time.

4. It's the Olympics! Everyone in the NHL would love to compete for their Country....there is no better honor to them. Players that have never been in the Olympics before want that oppurtunity too play for their Country and Win for their Country.

They give reasons and talk about the Time these games would be shown, and how it wouldn't work out and that's why Bettman doesn't want to go over and play. But regardless, I think all of us as Hockey Fans are watching the Olympics no matter what time the games would be on! I know I would....and plus there is this thing called a DVR lol

I would love for the Winter Olympics to be held in the US in 2018....I know you would want Canada but come on....Vancouver got them in 2010 lol....Let us have a turn again at them! haha :)

Source(s): Red Wings Fan :o)
  • ?

Of course it will... but I was one who didn't believe that the NHL would give up on the Olympics anyway.