promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

What is the origin of the word "Christian"?

The University Press Dictionary states:

The origin of the word Christian is based upon the latin "Cristi" meaning "learning" and "ianisy" meaning "no fcking clue" or "inability to"

Just thought it was interesing given some of the opinions expressed here...

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favourite answer

I can see you are an honest scholar. Are you sure you weren't looking up the name "Doonie" ?

"The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch."

Acts 11:26

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 years ago

I would return that dictionary to wherever you go it and ask for your money back. Apparent whoever wrote it has no clue what they are talking about.

The word "christ" means "anointed" and refers to someone who is in a special office or position of authority. It is the Greek language term from the Hebrew concept of "Messiah".

The early followers of Jesus were first called "Christians" in the city of Antioch around 18 years after the crucifixion of Jesus. The word means "Little Christ", and was most likely originally a term used to mock the followers because they believe that they shared in the anointed and calling of Jesus. But the early followers took the term and turned it around, using it to refer to their wanted to be "like Christ" and follow him all the things they do and say.

The word Christianity does not come from the Latin language, but from Greek. So similarly spelled word in Latin and have nothing to do with the origin or the meaning of the Green work on which "Christians" is based.

• ...Show all comments
    • Raphael M6 years agoReport

put money in his till Roman church is Idols worshipping cult and Pope Gregory the ll said it is okay to pray to icons..They have incorporated the Roman system in the relgion of Judaism.

• 9 years ago

Acts 11:26 "The disciples were first called Christians at Antioch".

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The word Christian is derived from the Greek word 'Christ'.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Oh. And I thought that it was from the Greek " CHRISTIANOS"--followers of the Christ, the annointed One. Silly me.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Chistrain " Jesus Christ.

Which is the prophet was the prophet for the jews. his real name is " ISSA" but for some reason they turned his name in to jesus.

and christ was given to him when he was ccrucified so now his name is JESUS CHRIST.

• 9 years ago

It come from "Christ" who is the prophet of Christians, Christians are who believe in Christ.

• I believe in the Son of God and his Gospel, not Christianity Much. My Lord called his call his followers disciples and Believers, that is good enough for me. Christian was first used in Antioch, years after Christ's resurrection, the pagans of that city called the followers of Christ, Christians, to Mock them.

• 9 years ago

Well, you gave the answer to your own question. lol And it isn't "ianisy" it is "anity". Two different things.

Source(s): Agnostic atheist
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Umm, something funny? Please, I'm begging you?

By the way, it's Greek CHRISTIANOS and it means those fecking idiots who follow 'da annointed one'.

• 9 years ago

Wonderful...you've earned a star!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.