promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

How to fix this computer boot problem?

I have a computer error message so heres the videos of my problem

the updated video which better shows the problem and what i tryed to do to fix it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FQOYDg3xdQ

Youtube thumbnail

first video shows problem but not as good as updated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aqN53YYDpI

Youtube thumbnail

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favourite answer

Solution one.

Perform a factory recovery. Yes, I know... it's not a pretty option considering what you lose if you don't have a Non-Destructive option in your factory recovery discs. But it's an option to get it all back up and running.

Solution two.

Boot your laptop with a copy of HawkPE or BartPE and examine your OS files. Make sure everything is still there. It could be that whatever was on the USB thumbdrive has overwritten the bootloader/boot.ini file of Windows. You may even be able to examine your files with a LiveCD of Linux like http://www.linuxmint.com and this method is obviously the most complicated... as it means attempting to find out why your hard drive now thinks it is something OTHER than what it was... that points to your bootloader being corrupted or replaced by an infection... or a failed attempt at installing Linux from a USB drive.

The path you followed was good. You identified correctly that there was no media connected to the computer, thus there was no reason why the computer should think there was something else in the boot path... which points to the hard drive. If the hard drive had failed, you would get a very different message... which points to the files on the hard drive. Worst case scenario... the OS has been corrupted to the point where a recovery installation is necessary.

Now... if you had an OS installation disc for the version of Windows you are running (not recovery discs, but an OEM or RETAIL disc), then you could boot to it and perform a REPAIR install (Windows XP) or perform Startup Repair (Vista or Win 7). So, that is a possible third Solution... but you would need an install disc for the SAME exact version of Windows you are running, or you would face needing to re-activate Windows at the end of it, and the product key on the bottom of the laptop would not work to re-activate it. I don't mean if Vista Home Premium is on the laptop, you use just any old Vista Home Premium disc... if the laptop came with Vista Home Premium, it would have come with an OEM copy of Vista Home Premium... and that is different from the RETAIL Vista Home Premium that one could have purchased in the stores.

So... solution one is the easiest.

THe fourth solution? Take it to a repair shop.

end of line

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 years ago

it seems like your MBR is messed up. what happens when you try to boot to the "vista recovery" selection?

if you can get a disk or the usb to boot...then you would want to get into the command prompt and type: bootrec.exe /fixmbr ...or...

bootrec /RebuildBCD

bootrec /FixBoot

bootrec /FixMBR

in that order mentioned above

did someone maybe put a SD card in? it would be a small slot the size of a quarter maybe on the side of the laptop...you might not even be able to see its even in there.

• 9 years ago

I believe your hard drive has become detached from the ribbon inside the computer.

Disassemble the computer or consult a local computer professional.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Your OS might be corrupted, you'd better install a new and fresh OS quickly.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 years ago

try explaining your problem too many fake videos are posted which stops people clicking or going to links

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.