Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 9 years ago

What are Crap Hats? (British Army reference)?

I was reading Andy McNab's Seven Troop the other day and he kept saying everyone called him a Crap Hat, so why was this and where did it come from?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Crap Hat = The original "brown" beret worn by WW2 soldiers in most Regiments.

Cherry Beret = The Paratroopers (claret) beret.

Meathead / Redcap = RMP (Royal Military Police) the Red beret.

Green Lid = Royal Marines beret.

Snowdrop = The (white) cover on RAF Police hats.

• 3 years ago

British Army Hats

• heintz
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Crap Hat

• ?
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Crap Hat

A derogatory and offensive term used to describe anyone not of the airborne brotherhood and thus having a crap (non-airborne) hat. However, merely being an attached arm in a Maroon Beret is NOT GOOD ENOUGH. If you've not done the course you are still a crap hat. The only non-airborne (to a degree) people who are NOT crap hats are the Gurkhas, Commandos and THEM - and even then there are those within the regiment who pour scorn on those from non-airborne units, regardless that they've passed selection. The French Foreign Legion uses a term referring to anyone who doesnt wear the Kepi Blanc are Casquette Merde, in other words the French Army.

The word 'craphat' is also used to describe the largely obsolete (apart from SF and the ATRs) DILAC Hat.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 years ago

First answer the best - ARRSE is excellent site, but my point is WHY are you giving that awful man mcnab (I really want to put his real name here) any money buying his books??

I know people who knew him and despised him.

The other SF guys who have 'written' books, often couldn't string two words together in real life but at least some of the stories have an element of truth in them - the odd story they've adapted and they have a bit more respect from the guys they served with.

If you want decent SF books;

Freefall - Tom Read (called Nish in Mcnabs books, gives a slightly different view on their 'friendship'

Midnight in some burning town

No escape zone (I know the people in this - its true and good)

A long long war - about NI

Even Chris Hunters are readable.

• 9 years ago

The ''Crap Hats'' is what the Para's call the other regiments beret's. Including the Royal Marines, who are their bitterest rivals in the British army.

In P' Company (The tough, gruesome selection test of the Para's) They always remind you, if you give up or fail, then you better consider joining the Royal Marines.

Former Paratrooper.

• 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axC1t

good one,i gave you a star

• Wolfie
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

An ex-services friend of mine told me that it's what ordinary soldiers call the MP's, (Military Police).

• 9 years ago

crap hat is paratrooper regiment

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.