My principal beat me! Do you think it was okay?

I got to school late this morning because on the way (I walk to school) I saw another kid that seemed really poor. I'd heard about this kid before and was told not to play with him because he is bad, but he's never been bad to me. I stopped and talked with him a few minutes about school and asked why he... show more I got to school late this morning because on the way (I walk to school) I saw another kid that seemed really poor. I'd heard about this kid before and was told not to play with him because he is bad, but he's never been bad to me. I stopped and talked with him a few minutes about school and asked why he didn't go and stuff... at any rate, when I got to school, I told my principal why I was late (he stopped me when I came into the school). He said I shouldn't associate with other kids like him and then he took out a stick and beat my behind till it broke! Was this right?
Update: Oh wait, just read this in Tom Sawyer. Man, education was so much better back then!