Car audio speaker (2 speaker component system + amp) works on one side only?

I recently bought a used car with a 2 speaker component system powered by an amp. At first everything was working just fine, however recently both speakers have become weird. The symptoms are as follows: 1. Left side goes out completely and comes back on later. 2. The right coaxial goes out and only the tweeter... show more I recently bought a used car with a 2 speaker component system powered by an amp. At first everything was working just fine, however recently both speakers have become weird. The symptoms are as follows:
1. Left side goes out completely and comes back on later.
2. The right coaxial goes out and only the tweeter works, but then it comes back later.
As of now as I type this, the left is completely gone and only the right tweeter is working.

I didnt like the headunit in there, so I bought a new one and just yesterday connected and installed everything correctly. Everything is centered. All I did was connect the wires that were already there though (the speakers and the amp).

What happens is that no matter where I connect the wires from the amp to the headunit (to the wire labeled for left or right side), only the right speaker comes on. So if I connect the left channel amp to the left speaker port on the headunit, the right speaker turns on.

The amp is a 4 channel 900 watt amp system, with only 2 being used. I thought the amp could be bad, so I switched the attachment of the speakers to the other two channel being unused, and the problem persisted. I used different cables for the wires being attached from the amp to the headunit, but the problem wasnt solved.

Now I am suspecting that either the speakers itself or the speaker wires are faulty somewhere.

Before I go in there to open up my doors, is this a speaker problem or the speaker wire problem?
Thanks in advance.
1 answer 1