Why are there so much more gun deaths in USA than any other developed country? I thought guns make us safer?

According to Small arms survey 2007, there are about 90 guns/100 citizens in USA. Way more than in any other country. But somehow the US violent crime statistics are partically high compared to other first world countries. Of the 2,503 homicides in California in -05, 75% were committed with a gun. In fact,... show more According to Small arms survey 2007, there are about 90 guns/100 citizens in USA. Way more than in any other country. But somehow the US violent crime statistics are partically high compared to other first world countries.

Of the 2,503 homicides in California in -05, 75% were committed with a gun. In fact, there are more gun homicides in California alone than in any first world COUNTRY. And California only accounts about 1/6 of the total US number. Go ahead - prove me wrong.

Approximately 1,000 - 1,500 fatal firearm accidents occur every year in the U.S. That's about 3.5 - 5 fatal firearm accidents/1 million citizens - multible times more than for instance Canada(2), France(1.1), Australia(1.1) Germany(0.4), UK(0.1) or Japan (0.05)

How come? What I'm missing here? I thought the guns are so awesome that make us safer, not more dangerous....