Bonbon asked in HealthMental Health · 9 years ago

I want to be committed to a psychiatric facility, but I'm 15?

I'm in the UK, by the way.

I've been suffering from depression for about a year now, and it's only getting worse. My circumstances are complicated and nasty, and I've got 2 previous suicide attempts on my record (July 2010, Paracetamol overdose & last Tuesday, sertraline overdose). The sertraline tablets were my anti-depressants, but after I tried to kill myself with them, they stopped giving them to me.

I want to kill myself, and I think that I should go to a mental hospital because of this. I WOULD go to A&E right now and tell the doctors if it weren't for my dad.

Last time I went to A&E because of my suicidal thoughts I was admitted, and my dad got so stressed out and sad. I don't want to do that to him, but I really need the help.

I think that if I go to a psychiatric hospital then they can look after me and my dad doesn't have to anymore. But I'm only 15?! How can I get committed? I'm worried that my psychiatrist won't let me go or that my dad will get angry because I'm stressing him out so much.

I just need your advice, please, I'm killing myself here.

• Joy
    Favorite Answer

I'm sorry that your life is so bad that you'd want to end it. Of course if you feel like ending your life and have had 2 failed suicide attempts you should be in hospital if that's what you need. I can understand why they took your antidepressants off you - they did that to me as well, took me a long time to get my meds all back in my control. The option is there for dad to take care of them and I mean carry them in his pocket and sleep with them under his pillow and watch you take them every day. It's worth a shot but in future don't take meds you really need as od's.

I'm also in the UK but in a major city that has a large psych hospital. We have a children's and young people's unit where our kids all go or get outpatients help. Kids can be admitted with the authority of 1 psych and a parent. Are you saying that dad will not agree at all in any way for this to happen? If so why would he refuse this help? Is there a mum anywhere who could do this instead?

At the end of the day your dad is going to know that you are in hospital so there is no way of avoiding his upset over the event. Why do you think the psych will say no? Has he said so before? If you would need to go into a serious ward or a ward of adults then I'd agree that almost anything is better than that. Being with people who have much more serious disorders is not good for any kid your age. People who are very psychotic or schizophrenic can be very scary even for those of us longer in the tooth who've been there before. Go in with depression and come out with schizophrenia!

Is there any suggestion of you having borderline personality disorder rather than depression or as well as? I can see them keeping you as far away as possible from the ward in that case. It's in your best interests I assure you.

If you are determined your dad won't be able to stop you going in so you may as well set off in the morning for the A&E and insist they keep you.

I do just wonder however if it may help to tell us the complicated and nasty issues in your life that have driven you to this stage where death seems preferable? I am absolutely certain nothing is worth that at age 15. Things improve, they change, you'll feel less depressed one day, no one has suicidal depression for year and years, it is treatable and people recover. The way I felt in my teens is a world away from the one in my 20's. I've qualified, got married, had kids, had a good career, made lots of friends and I'm treating other mentally ill people myself now.

Send me an emil if you want to talk to me.

You'd need parental consent because you are under 18. I think your dad would rather you be alive. Tell him that you think you need to be in a hospital. Or talk to your psychiatrist about your suicide attempt and how you're still suicidal if they don't know already.

I think ultimately you should go to the A&E despite what your dad feels. You have to put yourself first. You're putting your life at risk. Call 999 and say you're suicidal. They'll do the rest.

I hope you get better. Well done for seeking help.

• Jo

It doesn't really work that way in the UK. Beds are scarce; the NHS works very hard to keep you OUT of hospital. The vast majority of psychiatric care is done in the community and only patients who are very seriously mentally ill are admitted.

Do you have a key worker? Tell them how you are feeling so they can increase the level of support.

Aparently you can be put in a place like that by two close friends or family i think maybe just family... but you are 15! you are very pretty very young and have your whole life ahead of you i think you need to take a good look at the future you have EVERYTHING and your life is what you make it. Your story is very depressing, The reason for your depression must be a horrible thing but you have to think of you father you are his life! Work! thats what it takes work at your life and you will be happy eventually dont dwell on the past, live for the future.

If you told your psychiatrist you want to kill yourself he would put you into the hospital, You need

to worry about yourself. Your dad will feel worse if you did not take care of yourself now. Stressing

him out is the least of it. It would be so sad for him to lose you and that would stress him out for

the rest of his life. Please see the doctor now as you need immediate help!

Believe me, you DON'T. Psychiatric wards in the UK are HELL ON EARTH and are more likely to make you worse rather than better.

Make an appointment to see your GP and tell them exactly how you feel. There are plenty of things which can be done to help you without you having to be in hospital.

Obviously your dad is not taking your depression seriously. So you have to save yourself. Do what you have to do. If you think you want to kill yourself, you are a danger to yourself, that would qualify you to get admitted. Go the hospital right now.

babe trust me you do NOT want to go to a mental health hospital.

i am 16 and was in one for a year (only just got out) and believe me it is HELL!!!

it makes you so so much worse as you pick up on what other people do and begin to copy them without even realising it.

trust me sweetie it will only make you WORSE.

keep seeing your psychiatrist and they can actually inject your medication into you once a month, so you can't overdose (i had injections and it really works)

just keep on trying babe. there is only so much other people can do, the rest is up to YOU!!

best of luck sweetie x

Get help. I suffered for years. Do great now.Had anxiety and depression. Talk to your dad this is not uncommon.Many people suffer. Look at Mid west Center For Stress And Anxiety web site.This was my answer along with faith and God.

you may think you want to go but once you take a look round one i bet you that you would change your mind! try getting help and some therapy anything is better than going into one and if you do go into one it may be a long time before you come out. Going into one really ISN'T the answer!