Can someone help explain self harming?

Last year a close friend told me that she was cutting herself and I did a lot of research about self harming and I really did try my best to help her. She never really explained her reasons for doing it only that she had low self esteem. I tried for ages to help her stop doing it then eventually I was so caught up... show more Last year a close friend told me that she was cutting herself and I did a lot of research about self harming and I really did try my best to help her. She never really explained her reasons for doing it only that she had low self esteem. I tried for ages to help her stop doing it then eventually I was so caught up in her constant depression I started to cut myself even though I hated it and what it did to my friend. I didn't do it loads but I still did it and still have scars. But when I did it I felt nothing really. I never fully understood what it does to people and why they do it. But after a while I worked lout that my friend was doing it for my attention which really upset me as she put me through hell all for my attention? We're not that close anymore and she still does it and it still upsets me but a lot of people I know do it and I think she's doing it cause they do. Why do people cut to fit it? What's cool about it? I am just very confused ablout the whole thing and itd be great if someone could help. Thanks so much! X
Update: P.s I forgot to mention that I know a lot of you who answer my question will either be current self harmers or have cut in the past. I hope you can all get through it. Never ever feel like your worthless, you may feel like no cares about you; but someone does there's always someone. And even if you can't see it,... show more P.s I forgot to mention that I know a lot of you who answer my question will either be current self harmers or have cut in the past. I hope you can all get through it. Never ever feel like your worthless, you may feel like no cares about you; but someone does there's always someone. And even if you can't see it, god cares, he will always care. I find a huge comfort in god and I know a lot of people don't. But I believe he is there and he cares about everyone. He may not be with you in a physical presence but spiritually he's always there. And I wish I could help self harmers I wish I could make them better. My heart goes out to the people who suffer from depression etc. I watched a film called "to save a life' it changed my life. If you need comfort watch that film. Your beautiful and your loved by someone even when it feels like you aren't. God bless.