UC Davis or UC San Diego?

I currently have a major dilemma. I was accepted to both schools and I simply can't decide where I should go!

My major is economics. They are providing me with the same amount of financial aid. The main difference is location. UC Davis is only an hour away, whereas UC San Diego is 10 hours away (by car). I realize that UC San Diego is more well known for their economics program and is regarded as a tougher school, so would I have less job prospects if I chose Davis over San Diego?

Also, I have not been able to visit UCSD's campus due to the sheer distance and costs it would take to go there, spend the night, drive back 10 hours; my parents don't have time for it. I have visited UC Davis's campus and liked it.

To sum it up:

Davis: closer to home, pretty good school, nice campus

San Diego: arguably better academics for my major, good location (but I haven't visited the campus), but fairly far away, probably more job prospects after graduation, somewhat more "prestige"

Can anyone offer some insight? If you've ever had a similar dilemma (doesn't even have to be with UCs), please lend me a hand here!

I`m not really sure where you should go, but I have seen both campuses. The UCSD campus is really nice (as is the whole San Diego area.) I just got a better feeling from UCSD than from Davis. San Diego is a nice city with lots of opportunities, although it might be a bit expensive to live there. So I would probably pick UCSD, but the choice is yours.

where you go to university does not affect your job prospect. It doesn't matter whether you go to UC Davis or San Diego as long as you have the necessary skills in order to function in whatever future career you're going into. Jobs aren't going to look at your application and another person's application and say, "hey, this person went to UC San Diego instead of this person. I'm going to choose this person instead."

• Irina

I'm sure you'll be fine regardless of which one you choose, but SD always ranks higher than Davis.

And I've found the SD site is more user friendly. :) Silly reason, I know :)

Source(s): I got accepted into both also as an econ major.