How long can a sword last for if it is properly looked after?

If a sword was made during the reign of Ælfrēd se Grēata (871 - 899) would it still be effective during wars and fights that took place around the years 1066 - 1976, nearly two centuries later?

Update:

I meant 1066 - 1076, not 1976! Sorry about the typo!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Depends on usage. Each time it is sharpened, some of the material is removed. If the sharpening has to remove large dents, a lot of material may be removed. Do this a bunch of times, and the sword is no longer usable.

My guess, is that under heavy usage a few years or a decade at the most. But keep it oiled to avoid rust, and use it rarely, then centuries.

• 9 years ago

Hundreds, if not thousands, of swords exist which have been in use in some form for hundreds to over 1000 years. We have roman and early damascus swords. Since people are not likely to use a fully sharpened battle sword for cutting trees or hacking at meat animals and except for stroke practice not hitting anything are likely to use dull practice swords of similar weight and balance for hitting at people, swords should last for at least the period you are talking about.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

probably not... after a couple hindered years I'd expect them to be using a better grade of steel with superior tempering and hardness. Its unlikely they wouldnt have advanced much in metallurgy

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.