Anthony asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 9 years ago

Prince William and Kate Middleton 15th cousins?

Apparently they share a common ancestor - Sir Thomas Fairfax - even though both her parents come from working class backgrounds? Does that mean it's possible that we could all have a common ancestor with a member of the Royal family as recent as the 1400s?

• Paco

Sir Thomas Fairfax (c1475 - 1520) is also the common ancestor of Ellen Degeneres (an American comedian) who has been using it as a comic ploy to get an invitation.

Barack Obama and Prince William are 17th cousins once removed as they are mutually descended from Christopher Conyers (1383-1456) and his wife Ellen Rolleston (1399-1444). In a seperate line of descent, President Obama's ancestor is King Edward I.

The crucial word is "all". No I don't think "all" English people have a common ancestor as recent as 1400. I think "most" of people of English ancestry are descended from a medieval king (William I through Richard III). By "most" I mean over 99.9%.

The stronger mathematical guess is that everyone of English descent is no further than 20-25th cousin. The 15th cousin is probably cutting it a little too tight. You may need more generations to include all the Welsh, Scottish, and Northern Ireland peoples.

I have looked at the mathematical basis for this argument, so I am not just making it up. I would not say the same about the French. Although France and the UK have roughly the same population today, they have a very different history. France reached 5 million people over 2000 years ago while Britain only reached 5 million roughly 400 years ago. The kinship of Britain is much tighter than France.

By the way king and kin are closely related words both derived from early Anglo Saxon. A king is the monarch of a closely related group of people. There is a strong connection to the idea of extended family. The word emperor is a latin word that implies the ruler (by force) of a group of people. George VI was Emperor of India, but King of the UK.

We all have enormous amounts of ancestors. Like a inverted pyramid, the further one goes back in time, the more ancestors are living at the very same moment. I've no interest in genealogy because everyone pretty much has the same assortment of ancestors that were princes or thieves. Here is a quote from the web page that follows..........

.

Genealogists have mathematically demonstrated how all Americans of European descent must be related to Charlemagne. In this regard, genealogists have established the exact lines of descent from Charlemagne for 14 U.S. Presidents. Two of these are President George W. Bush and his father President George H.W. Bush. Other Presidents whose descent from Charlemagne have been traced include: George Washington, Ulysses Grant, Franklin Roosevelt, Teddy Roosevelt, and Gerald Ford. To demonstrate how we are all related, the New England Historical Society has researched the genealogy of Barack Obama and determined that on his mother's side he is related to six other previous presidents: George W. Bush, George H. W. Bush, Lyndon Johnson, Harry Truman, Gerald Ford, and James Madison.

http://sandwalk.blogspot.com/2009/10/are-you-desce...

Not all of us, but, yes...most people in the United Kingdom are distant cousins, if they can trace back some of their ancestors to there for that long. Obviously, UK citizens who were born there of parents from, say, Africa or India, wouldn't be able to trace their families that way.

It wouldnt surprise me. I think most people would be surprised who they are related to,this is why I have left delving into my family history to my sister,I hate surprises !

Most probably, yes.