Comparison of buddhism and christianity?

On the one hand, Christianity and Buddhism do have fundamental differences such as the belief of a 'God' and their views on souls and such. However, I would like to hear well supported opinions on the idea that christianity and buddhism also share several similarities. To start with, their teachings on... show more On the one hand, Christianity and Buddhism do have fundamental differences such as the belief of a 'God' and their views on souls and such.

However, I would like to hear well supported opinions on the idea that christianity and buddhism also share several similarities. To start with, their teachings on the way we should live are very similar, to live virtuously and that temptation (in christianity) or desire (in buddhism) is the root of evil, or suffering, and should be resisted.

Secondly, I think that the belief of hell is perhaps over simplified. People in the middle ages believed hell was below the ground and had other stupid ideas. Obviously, none of this is true, however an idea of a punishment after death is similar to the belief of karma, where people's bad actions lead to their own suffering or punishment in a future life.

People think of God as a man in the sky, but again I believe this is definitely over simplified, and is rooted in the limited imaginations of people in the middle ages etc. God is love, nothing more.. Buddhism believes in the eventual elevation to nirvana.

Are these two religions comparable?
Update: There are two things I left out not to make the questions too long, but i feel are necessary now.. The bible says that after death we will be judged. We will then go to hell, pergatory or heaven. Surely this is comparable to karama? Also, the bible says somewhere that in forgiving your tresspasser, you are... show more There are two things I left out not to make the questions too long, but i feel are necessary now..

The bible says that after death we will be judged. We will then go to hell, pergatory or heaven. Surely this is comparable to karama?

Also, the bible says somewhere that in forgiving your tresspasser, you are shovelling hot coals onto his head (or something along those lines). In other words, you will make his punishment from God worse. To me this could mean, that if you do not punish his actions in this life, then he will have more to answer for in his next life. This is also comparable to karma.
7 answers