Atheists: would you wear one of those little red 'A' for atheist lapel badges the way Christians wear a cross?

Richard Dawkins sells them on his web site (but counter to what a lot of theists think I don't happen to agree with absolutely everything he says because I am a free thinker).

Atheist Sam Harris thinks that even calling yourself 'atheist' is labeling yourself for theist's convenience & argues why have a name for what you DON'T believe in? You probably don't believe in astrology or ghosts either so do you need a special name for NOT believing in those things too?

Or do you WANT to have a title like 'Bright' which atheist philosopher Dan Dennett created to differentiate evidence respecters from the 'Supers' -supernatural / faith respecters?

I won't judge you whichever you choose. I'll leave judgement & 100% certainty to those stupid & deluded theists (whoops!) I mean 'those who think faith must be good'.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best answer

Generalization: I refuse to wear a cross.

• Rob
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

I like Sam's position, but if you must label, I prefer non-theist, because atheist implies that I am certain there is no god. I am not certain of anything and lack respect for the opinions of those who are. So far, I have not seen substantive evidence for even 1 single supernatural event, so I could never believe in an entire body of work laced with them.

• 9 years ago

It's a silly notion. Sounds like Dawkins is trying to make a buck. And Harris needs to take the stick out of his *** and stop being hung up on nouns. An atheist is someone who is not a theist. A theists is someone who is not an atheist. Simple.

• 9 years ago

I understand the point Dawkins is trying to make, but I disagree with the method.

I don't need a pin to know who I am an I think it does the idea more harm than good to start associating standardized icons an imagery with it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Lisa
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Spaghetti Necklaces.

• 9 years ago

No, but that's mostly because the little red 'A' sounds more like The Scarlet Letter--where the A stood for "adulteress."

• 9 years ago

No, it's retarded.

I am AN atheist. I am not a member of THE atheists. It's not a group, it's just 1 thing that many people agree on.

Atheism isn't a belief, it's a lack of belief. That's an important distinction than many people miss.

So yeah, I agree with you.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

You'll never hear a person describe themselves as a British Atheist as opposed to British Christian or British Muslims.

Atheists tend not to describe each other first as atheists.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

You really need to check out "The Depth Factor" meditation program, it's the best, it's been voted as the number 1 meditation program made so far. Here is their official web-site: http://www.thedepthfactor.net

It combines binaural beats and ancient meditation techniques to deliver the best meditation experience. This is perfect course for a beginner or an intermediate. Good luck!

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Those always remind me of "The Scarlet letter" and when i see it outside R&S I think of Adultery.

Just a friendly warning

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Though you are confused, I will pray for you because of Luke 1:37 God Bless

Source(s): Jesus saves
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.