Atheists: would you wear one of those little red 'A' for atheist lapel badges the way Christians wear a cross?

Richard Dawkins sells them on his web site (but counter to what a lot of theists think I don't happen to agree with absolutely everything he says because I am a free thinker).

Atheist Sam Harris thinks that even calling yourself 'atheist' is labeling yourself for theist's convenience & argues why have a name for what you DON'T believe in? You probably don't believe in astrology or ghosts either so do you need a special name for NOT believing in those things too?

Or do you WANT to have a title like 'Bright' which atheist philosopher Dan Dennett created to differentiate evidence respecters from the 'Supers' -supernatural / faith respecters?

I won't judge you whichever you choose. I'll leave judgement & 100% certainty to those stupid & deluded theists (whoops!) I mean 'those who think faith must be good'.

Generalization: I refuse to wear a cross.

• Rob

I like Sam's position, but if you must label, I prefer non-theist, because atheist implies that I am certain there is no god. I am not certain of anything and lack respect for the opinions of those who are. So far, I have not seen substantive evidence for even 1 single supernatural event, so I could never believe in an entire body of work laced with them.

It's a silly notion. Sounds like Dawkins is trying to make a buck. And Harris needs to take the stick out of his *** and stop being hung up on nouns. An atheist is someone who is not a theist. A theists is someone who is not an atheist. Simple.

I understand the point Dawkins is trying to make, but I disagree with the method.

I don't need a pin to know who I am an I think it does the idea more harm than good to start associating standardized icons an imagery with it.

• Lisa

Spaghetti Necklaces.

No, but that's mostly because the little red 'A' sounds more like The Scarlet Letter--where the A stood for "adulteress."

No, it's retarded.

I am AN atheist. I am not a member of THE atheists. It's not a group, it's just 1 thing that many people agree on.

Atheism isn't a belief, it's a lack of belief. That's an important distinction than many people miss.

So yeah, I agree with you.

You'll never hear a person describe themselves as a British Atheist as opposed to British Christian or British Muslims.

Atheists tend not to describe each other first as atheists.

You really need to check out "The Depth Factor" meditation program, it's the best, it's been voted as the number 1 meditation program made so far. Here is their official web-site: http://www.thedepthfactor.net

It combines binaural beats and ancient meditation techniques to deliver the best meditation experience. This is perfect course for a beginner or an intermediate. Good luck!

Those always remind me of "The Scarlet letter" and when i see it outside R&S I think of Adultery.

Just a friendly warning

Though you are confused, I will pray for you because of Luke 1:37 God Bless

Source(s): Jesus saves