Question(s) about tarot cards?

I'm a super-duper beginner, I haven't even done any readings yet. I've a deck, but I'm trying to learn all the cards before I do any readings. Question, though. I have a book I'm using to learn about the cards (I'm also using learntarot.com), and it says, in a reading, to use the Empress... show more I'm a super-duper beginner, I haven't even done any readings yet. I've a deck, but I'm trying to learn all the cards before I do any readings.

Question, though.
I have a book I'm using to learn about the cards (I'm also using learntarot.com), and it says, in a reading, to use the Empress if the question is concerning a woman (or if the individual you're reading for is) and to use the Emperor if the question is concerning a man (or if the individual you're reading for is).

I'd prefer to represent myself with the Page of Cups. I like his description in my book and feel connected to him. Would this affect a reading at all?

And I've decided to just show the emperor and empress cards to whoever I'm reading for and let them pick which one they want to represent them. But I have several transgender friends who would rather be represented by a more androgynous card. What card could I use? Could I make my own for this special purpose, and would it affect the reading if I wasn't using it to represent the questioner?

Sorry, I'm extremely new at this. ^_^;
Any help appreciated!