What should be done with really old ammunition?

Many years ago, I inherited a rifle and a handgun from my grandfather. I have little opportunity to use them and cleaned them and put them away. I found the ammunition for both. It is quite old. Is it dangerous? How can I dispose of it safely?

• Reb

It's only dangerous if it put in a firearm, pointed in a unsafe direction and fired.

As long as it was stored in a relatively cool and dry area chances are it is still usable. I found some ammunition in my great grandfather's basement. I shook it to see if the powder was good, checked the projectile, and visually inspected the primer. That 50+ year old ammo worked great. So hang onto to it. It might still be usable, It would look good next to the gun, and something more to remember grandpa by.

No, its not dangerous-but it is ammo.

If you don't want to shoot it, and its too much to just throw in the trash....then the safest thing to do is to dig a hole and bury it. If you know what caliber it is...you may just ask around-others may want it.

Contact your local police and tell them you have old ammunition that needs to be destroyed. They are equipped to either destroy it or can contact a local agency that is.