Accredited TEFL courses?

Can anyone recommend a reputable company for TEFL courses? I want to look into teaching English as a foreign language and want to avoid being ripped off.


For clarity, I am based in the UK. I have looked at university courses and they all require a degree. Is that strictly necessary? I don't have that level of education. I don't want to do a course that will not gain me employment.

Grateful for any and all advice. Thanks.

7 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Best answer

    You should look at a school that prepares you for the CELTA. The CELTA exam is set by Cambridge University and you are evaluated by CELTA examiners, not the school itself. The course taught by the school will prepare you to sit for the CELTA, and you will get a certificate from the school when you complete your course. Two for the price of one! It's the CELTA you want, however. The certificate is recognized worldwide and is a good entry-level certification.

    Check at the links.

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    I don't know what you mean by "company". The best way not to get ripped off is to go to a college or university. There are several that offer certificate programs- I believe UCLA does, and the University of Memphis. Don't do any 1 month or 2 month certificates- they are not worth the paper they are written on. Most of the good jobs require a master's degree in TESL or applied linguistics.

  • 9 years ago

    A 100-hour TESOL/TEFL certificate is the most popular choice for people who are looking for an entry level position. CELTA and TESL Canada offer advanced programs online with a real in-class practicum module. I recommend taking an advanced qualification if you have the budget. Trinity is also a very good program, but it doesn't offer an online version.

  • 9 years ago


    You can check out i-to-i's accredited courses here:

    i-to-i has been in the industry over 16 years and our courses are fully accredited and are accepted by thousands of language schools worldwide. You can get more information about the accreditation here:

    Also you may want to take a look at Chalkboard, which is an online community dedicated to TEFL;. There are over 8,000 members on there, most of which have taken i-to-i's courses and gone on to teach in many countries worldwide. You can take a look here:

    Hope this helps you!

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 years ago

    I'm not sure where you are. In the US you should start at a local community college or university.

    If you're in the UK you could check out the RSA at a language school for foreigners.

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    Try ICAL who do online courses. - they've been going for well over 10 years and are one of the most reputable online providers.

  • 9 years ago

    CELTA, Trinity, and SIT are the big three.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.