Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 9 years ago

African Americans, local police/county sheriff and FBI...?

I know that a lot of African Americans and other minority races get brutalized by mostly local police/sheriff officials. When police brutality arises, then African Americans and other minorities start hating the police. Sometimes cops violate their civil rights as well. Second is that in the U.S. we have state and federal law enforcement agencies like highway patrol/state patrol/state police/state troopers/state bureau of investigation (state) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), United States Marshals Service (U.S. Marshals Service/ U.S. Marshals, USMS), Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives (ATF), United States Secret Service (U.S. Secret Service, Secret Service, USSS), etc. (federal). Some state law enforcement agencies investigate and enforce Public Corruption (Government Fraud, Election Fraud, Foreign Corrupt Practices) and Civil Rights (Hate Crime, Human Trafficking, Color of Law, Freedom of Access to Clinics) violations at the state level. Same goes for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), but at the federal level. Color of Law is the power given to local, state and federal public officials such as judges, local/state police officers, state and federal agents/officers, etc. the power of authority. If this law is abused or violated, it is a violation of state, but mainly U.S. federal law. The law enforcement agency that is in charge federally of these matters is the FBI. In the 1960's African Americans were protesting for civil rights. Today it is still like that, but mostly with police. Although the FBI is law enforcement and African Americans don't trust the police (law enforcement), wouldn't they trust the FBI because they investigate, enforce and protect people's civil rights and stop corruption especially of police? Detailed answers please. And don't say "F**k Da Police". Lol

4 Answers

Relevance
  • drdr
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

This is not as simple as you phrase it. You "know" Blacks are brutalized? How is it you know this? Are you aware that the primary victims of Black crimes are Black people (see homicide statistics below)? It seems apparent that the lack of education, lack of cultural appreciation for education, and lack of parental expectations perpetuate the problem of black crime; even though racial profiling is a prominent argument for this situation. Education plays a major role in employability that can counteract pursuit of criminal activities. The national average for completion of high school by White students is about 75%, and the average for Black students is about 50% (Swanson, 2004). Lack of employment stems from poor education, which results in criminal behavior needed to supply income.

Crime statistics are a relevant consideration in the arena of bias and reality, with about one in three Black males being convicted felons, as opposed to about one in 17 White males (statistics cited below). Racism must be considered; however, there is statistical support for the argument that Blacks are more likely to commit crimes. And, other variables are being taken into consideration during the decision-making process regarding prosecution and sentencing; these include prior convictions, employment history, and education level. These considerations contribute to the determination of whether or not the individual will be a contributing member of society or will return to criminal behavior if not prosecuted and incarcerated.

The world of black music provides examples of the Black community’s failure to provide witness information that could reduce crime. Jam Master Jay, Biggie Smalls, and Tupak Shakur were murdered by unidentified perpetrators, and in all of these cases witnesses have been uncooperative. Likewise, rapper Busta Rhymes refused to cooperate after witnessing the murder of his bodyguard, as did 50 other witnesses (Hampson, 2006). Hampson also reported on the nation-wide “Stop Snitching” movement in the Black community.

Based on then current incarceration rates, about 32% of Black males will be imprisoned during their lifetime, along with 5.9% of White males (Bureau of Justice Statistics, 2007). In 2005, one victim and one offender homicides were mostly intraracial, about 93% for Black victims (with 49% of all homicide victims being Black) and 85% for white victims (Harrell, 2007). Black offenders accounted for more than 50% of the offenders arrested for murder and non-negligent manslaughter (U.S. Department of Justice, 2009). Hickey (2006) reported on an extensive study that indicated that out of the 249 serial killers studied, 72% were White, 23% were Black, 3% were Hispanic, 1% were Asian, and 1% were “other.” The 2000 census indicated that 77.1% of the U.S. population was White (Census, 2001a), and 12.9% was Black (Census, 2001b).

Since more than 20% of the serial killers have been Black, there is an over-representation of Black serial killers. Hickey reported that, between 1995 and 2004, about 44% of identified serial killers were Black. Safarik, Jarvis, and Nussbaum (2006) studied elderly female sexual homicide and their research population of offenders was found to be 44% White and 42% Black. Hickey (2006) also reported that serial killing has been generally intraracial; however, serial killers do kill people of other races. Safarik et. al (2006) determined that, in their elderly female sexual homicide research, "Blacks offend interracially 77% of the time … and Whites only 4%" (p. 113).

"Having a chip on one's shoulder" (being defensive due to something that has happened in the past) has been empirically supported. Research on prejudice indicated that those who have been the subject of prejudice, or perceive so, were more aggressive, sadder, more anxious, and more egotistical than those not perceiving such prejudice (Dion & Earn, 1981). Once a person has been discriminated against, it is more likely that the person will be hypersensitive to perceived discrimination, possibly seeing it where it does not exist. And, their perceptions of prejudice interfere with their accepting the culture of the majority group.

Presumably, the expectations of police officers as to the increased probability of Black people being engaged in illegal activities (as supported by available statistics) affects how they deal with Black people, hence the “driving while Black” scenario. Unfortunately, this fuels the negative responses of the Black community, perpetuating a negative spiral; presumably contributing to the arrest statistics. The reference list is available upon request.

Source(s): Retired fed spec agent, crim justice adj professor, TX peace officer (inactive) & investigative hypnosis certification, TX licensed PI, formerly USMC Military Police officer & enlisted
  • 4 years ago

I can't believe you let someone in the house and onto your computer without verifying who they were and why they were there. They had to have a warrant to do this. Did they show that to you? Do you even know their names? Did you call the local sheriff's office to see if such a search and seizure was taking place? And an FBI agent is not likely to have some with a local sheriff's deputy. You've been conned, for some reason, and not because of your use of Limewire.

• fYi
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

You are saying most African Americans don't trust the police. First off I think this is just an assumption that you're are making based off of nothing. Yes, people get brutalized. Not just black people, white people and other races of people can get brutalized as well. It is sensationalized when black people get brutalized because of all the famous cases you see and hear. As a white person I don't trust the police or the FBI and it has nothing to do with race or brutality. It has to do with the things I've witnessed from the police in my lifetime that police have done to other people including myself and how rude I've been treated by the police whenever I do have an interaction. I'm sure they are not all bad, but police in my hometown just got busted for extortion. And that is just one of the many examples I have about the police.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Don't make up your own statistics to try and prove something that isn't true.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.