Can Lloyds TSB Bank close my account without notice?

Today I was trying to use my debit and credit online but couldn't. I called up the customer suervices and they asked me to go the bank with a ID.

At the branch i was told that the bank has decided to withdraw all the facilities offered to me with immediate effect. I will be only able to with my money from my account (balance over £5000), once I have settled my credit card bill for £1100 - I don't understand why they did this as I pay off my credit card in full each month and the credit card bill has been over £1100 at one time not just once but many times.

I have been a customer for over 4 years and they did this without any notice. I am supprised, amazed and stressed. Can anyone guide me what they did about this.

Many thanks

• gill c
    Favorite Answer

yes they can and they don't have to tell you why, in fact i doubt if they will.

Lloyds Tsb Close Account

I guess that Lloyds have introduced a 'flag' to tell them when a customer utilises their credit card in this way as, of course, they are not benefiting from what is in effect a loan, albeit short term.

In your position I would visit their high street competitors and ask what their policies were.

You then have a couple of options. 1) Move your account. 2) Stay with Lloyds and use a separate credit card provider. I doubt if Lloyds will backtrack on the decision. If they won't I would wave them goodbye, assuming you can find a more helpful bank.

Source(s): Lloyds customer, with a separate credit card.
  • Tavy

Sorry but any Bank in the UK is able to withdraw their services. You should make an appointment with the Manager and ask for an explanation.