Eva asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

What happened to the comments section on Yahoo News?

I visited a few Yahoo articles today and no comments section was available. I understand if Yahoo took it away because it does tend to be rife with trolls and nastiness.

I'm not sure. I was wondering the same. Though to take a long shot at it, with the recent disaster over in Japan, and hoards of nasty comments that I saw earlier when reading through the articles, it wouldn't surprise me if Yahoo finally got brains and disabled the comments section for the time being on articles. Sickens me people have no compassion for those is worser situations than their own. "Death to Tokyo" just complete heartlessness.

It is more sinister than this, at least on yahoo UK.

The vast majority of comments showed that most people are against the now non existent freedom of speech or thought. People in the UK are fed up with being in europe, fed up with the useless political parties and the false statisics like 'the crime rate is falling' 'immigration is good for the country' unemployment is falling' and many more such lies spouted by politicians in an attempt to appease the populate. It is not just yahoo comments that have been dissabled, many other sources of comments have also been dissabled. Something is very wrong about this. You no longer have a voice, you will have to take the ridiculous political correctness that has almost destroyed the UK.

Bad cache file. Wipe it all out and reboot.

I would miss the comments section if it is gone forever. It's the only place in any news article that the people know what's going on more than the journalist that's writing the article!

I NEED to start my morning and my day with the comments section! Bring it back!! Don't tell me that our comments and points of view are now scrutinized by Yahoo! We have a RIGHT to freedom of speech! It better be back by tomorrow or I'll become un glued man.

Source(s): yahoo news

Yahoo had to shut it down because even the liberals were beginning to turn against the Obama socialist agenda which they support. Without a comment section Yahoo can now say anything they want without any rebuttal from anyone with common sense.

Source(s): School of Common Sense.

I was wondering the same. I was thinking the same along the same line Skorpion had written in regards to what has happened over in Japan (so sad), for the uncalled mean, and heartless comments by some. I'd also thought what jijawn wrote about forcing us to use Facebook to post our comments....if that's the case, no more comments from me...there is already WAY TOO MUCH crap hooked up to Facebook as it is.

EDIT: Just checking some articles and comment sections on Yahoo and appear to be opening up again.

Yahoo is most likely going down the drain and will soon be a thing of the past. Almost all employees will be laid off and be without jobs but the officers will leave with huge sums of money in their back pockets. Sad thing for those losing their job but the same thing happened to me at another company after 20 years of dedicated service.

I think most reporters hated the comment section because people could give a counter point of view. It probably wont control free speech though simply cause there are thousands of blogs and websites beyond media control.

I do agree with what some have said here - there were some commentors who were nutcases. But I always assumed them to be high school students.

There is a comment section, but now you have to click on it. It's easy to miss, because of the news feed directly under it.

• Dave

I'm glad I am not the only one that has this problem. The comments server always has some kind of technical problems anyway. On the days that it does load comments, it won't load replies or won't register thumbs up/down clicks, won't post all comments, etc. I hope they leave it shut down until they get it fixed.

EDIT: I just realized they are still accepting comments on sports stories. Maybe they just couldn't handle the volume of the political comments.