What do you think of Social Networking?

Is it a great thing?

A chore?

Pointless?

Asking for trouble?

Or a fantastic idea?

Opinions please.

I don't know... most of what I hear and see... it just isn't for me. I don't need to post pictures of myself, add two hundred people as "friends" or keep up with family and friends that live around me... on the internet.

A few people I have met... I don't need a site to keep in contact... there's emails, IM, actual mail, phone and such. If we have something to say to each other, it doesn't need to be the whole worlds business.

Too many use those sites for complaining, telling their whole life history, giving out information that shouldn't be and forgetting that most of those people won't give a damn when you're dying.

Let's not forget about those who use those sites to find men or women... or both.. to date, pedophiles (yes, they're out there), rapists, physically and mentally abusive people, etc... just waiting to pounce on someone... anyone. Even Yahoo has it's fair share of nut jobs, very real stalkers and more.

On a small scale... a social site might have been okay... if people used common sense and remembered to be cautious. On a grand scale... it's asking for trouble. People throw caution to the wind and don't care what they say or who will see it. Children... teens... can be the worst and parents don't even realize it. You can TELL a child why it's not safe and you can preach it to a child... but it doesn't seem to matter, from what I have seen on social sites... through others' accounts. What makes it worse is parents and adults who post, and DO, all the things we tell children and teens NOT to do.

Even on my own little site, I never post pictures of myself, family or friends... I never post my phone number or address or my full name. Mostly, it's used for fun, learning and discussing topics of interest. The more private things go to emails, phone calls, letters, etc...

Depends on your point of view and how socially inept you are and whether you prefer anonymous cyber friends who you probably will never meet in your whole life or interaction with real live people in a real live social setting like a pub or club!

Say what you like but social sites have been named as the biggest destroyer of relationships and marriages since they have been around. Everyone is spying on everyone else and trying to get one over someone else and keeping up with the Jone's!

Are these so called "cyber friends" really who they say they are bearing in mind the internet is totally anonymous? Do they really own all what they say they own or are they really living in Mummy's basement?

How many times has something blown up in someone else's face? What about all those embarrassing photos of them pissed out of their skulls puking up in the gutter at 3am with their skirts around their neck and showing their knickers to the world [assuming they are wearing some in the first place!] and there is nothing they can do about it because they don't own the copyright to them?

Before the advent of Facebook and the like [10 years ago?] and the internet as we know it [20 years ago?] it makes you think just how on earth did the human race ever survive before then, doesn't it?

Source(s): Experienced1
  • Karen

D) there was one I used to like going on but now it's boring as like everyone left as users were reporting others a bit like what they do on Y!A targeting some users (I was one of them) so the modearators decided to take that thing away which made the site worse..

• It's a great thing for people has a great difficulty having friends to trust in the real world. Just be cautious.....

As long as you are sensible and wise in them, it is being a good and great way of connecting people to each other. But nowadays some people just use it to show off!

i like to think of it as little more than a waste of time. Other than some tiny useful bits here an there, it's utterly useless.

mind you, I used to think of people behind facebook as drunk money counting monkeys, untill i came across something called Apache Thrift, now that is quite smart!

• Lulu

its a good way to pass the time, sometimes i do find it a chore but thats when Im really tired...

Source(s): just me

I don't use social networking sites.

• ?

some are really pointless...so many users, for ex. Facebook..I don't like it at all

good tool to make friends, keep intouch with friends and family... also something to pass time because passing time is better than passing gas, I think