My dog is screeching in pain?

Okay, so I cut my dog's nails by myself, and I always have. Today, I was cutting her nails again. I was nowhere near the quick-- I was at the very curvy tip of her nail and she started screeching in pain as i was cutting it. She didn't bleed, and like I said it was nowhere near the quick. Why is she screaming?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best answer

She's In Pain.

• 9 years ago

Dogs who are foot-shy by nature will shriek and struggle at any attempt to handle their toes. Mine will scream if she SEES the clipper. I'm sure that you recently either nicked the quick or came close enough to pinch it. If your clipper is getting dull it will squeeze too much before actually cutting, which could hurt a little. Either way, she remembers that nail clipping caused her some degree of pain, and she is crying out in fear.

• ?
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

A couple possible reasons:

Its a defense mechanism, even though it doesn't hurt this is her way of getting you to stop doing it.

Their paws are sensitive so sometimes when your cutting their nails you are unknowingly squeezing their paw to hard and it is uncomfortable.

If your dog is geriatric this could have initiated some arthritic pain.

• 9 years ago

The nail may have split.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 years ago

you could've been holding her paw too hard, or you could've accidentally clipped a part of her skin.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.