Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 9 years ago

For people who have ever self harmed?

For people who have ever self harmed or still does..

Have you ever told a friend/adult or have they seen your scars? How did they react? Did you ever get help or stop? Do you feel better now? Do you think this experience has/will make you a better person?

Just wondering, how the experience for people vary. Thank you

• KevinM

I haven't personally, but I understand a book called, "I'm not supposed to be here" is a good resource. It's written by someone who self-harmed and was able to pull herself together.

Good luck!

• ?

I self harm, still do. Recently for the past week I've been good. The longest I went without cutting was 2 months, but suddenly my feelings and emotions were to much and I relapsed.

I started off self harming with a compass and like sharp earrings. Then knives. Razors. Burning. Scratching. Biting. Tried breaking my bones, didn't work. So I've had it bad. I mainly use razor though as those scars fade fastest. I have some deep old scars on my legs and arms and stomach, otherwise my new ones have faded.

I started self harming due to depression and anorexia. Still have now.

I didn't tell anyone. My mum saw on my arms. She wasn't shocked. I wad depressed and trying to recover from anoexia so it wasn't a shock. Of coure she's not glad that I do it. But I've told her. Cus she knows I still self harm, that I can't stop. If u do, it will lead me to try suicide, which I already gave tied. Numerous times.

And then my best friend found out over my blog. But I dont talk about it. I know she was shocked. Couldn't understand It. My sister was and us repulsed by me. And my dad doesn't unsmderstand It. Si different reactions.

I'm in treatment now for anorexia so while I was an inpatient I couldn't self harm but while at home, I do, if things are too much.

I haven't gotten help for self harm.

Hmm... I don't know how thus will affect me. I mean. It's not easy having people stare at me funny and kind of scared cus if my scars.

I use to self harm a few years ago. Because was depressed at home and things between my parents were bad. I never told anyone and I still haven't because I'm ashamed about it. I use to cut the tops of my legs and tops of my arms. Even burned myself on the iron. The ones on my arms and legs have faded a lot which is good. But the burns on my forearm are still there and I hate them but it also reminds me of what it was like before. I don't hide the scars but I don't like people seeing them. I just stopped when we moved house and I met my amazing boyfriend. I think it has made me a better person in a way because Iearn to cope in different ways. But I wish I had never done it I think it was one of those things that just made me feel slightly better when I had damaged myself. It is a silly act to do and definately suggest anyone thing or doing it should get some help. People are always willing to help.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

Xx

I've been self harming for about 3 years now, and I'm only 15 it comes and goes, sometimes I will go about 2 months without it and then out of nowhere the urge will come back, its normally because of self esteem issues I've had to deal with, I've had an eating disorder for about 4 years, so cutting is a way for me to punish myself if I have had too much food or not done enough exercise. I've been with my boyfriend for 3 years and he has really looked after me giving me advice telling me I'm beautiful even though I know I'm not, but recently me and him got into a huge argument about it all, so he decided to tell my mum about everything. At first she was angry and shocked because she thought I would never do this and it shocked her even more when I told her how long its been going on for, but now she is more caring and understanding and I go to my doctors every week for a weigh in and they check to see if I have cut anywhere and then I go to counselling sessions twice a week. I think that I'm able to deal with things a lot better than I used to, and hopefully I will be better soon :) x

Well I have self harmed in the past. And I started a day after my 13th birthday , back in November. It was awful , my life seem not worth living. The littlest thing brought me to tears. I did'nt have a pen in Geography so I started crying ( I''m one of those kid's that NEVER cry in school) In year seven I had one whole detention for homework. This year I have been close to been excluded and everything. I self harmed because it made me feel better, I felt as if there was something wrong with myself so I must cut myself. I remeber been shouted at in class and I had a saftey pin inside my pocket , I took it out and scratched my skin. The teacher caught me and I had to tell her everything that I had been cutting for months. I now have 27 scars on my right wrist I'm not proud. The teacher never told any one I cut as long as I never did it again . But unfortunatly , I came really close today.

I didn't tell anyone the nurse did when she rang my mum and dad to tell them I was in hospital after taking an overdose. And the time after that and that and that. I didn't cut much only when things got too much. When I got sectioned everyone knew because I still found a way to self harm. My mum was upset but kept it to herself and my dad was annoyed. When I overdosed other week my mum knew and she was real angry because she said I'm ruining my body. And my dad said they will be planning my funeral soon. So no I haven't stopped don't know if I ever will. I don't feel better now. Sometimes I feel my scars will be a story to tell in the future if I'm here, other times I hate them and the rest I don't care!!!

My dad found at and was really upset, he cried. I carried on for a while and after about 3 years a friend told a teacher and I was sent to therapy. I've stopped cutting after 4 years of starting and it's awesome :) though I don't regret my scars cos they make me who I am today... the urge is still there but i just dont give in now.

I cut a few times. I told my friend but she didn't care. I'm sure half of my first class seen the cuts nobody said anything. I'm alright I mean my life isn't great at all. Yeah find someone that cares about me. Even though for me that's impossible

Never told a soul. Never will. I think they will accuse me of seeking attention. It feels better now than it did before. Not great, but better. so i dont want to stop

Source(s): cutter

Yeah. Me and my mom had a HUGE fight one day (we still have fights, But I'm not around her as much.) and she left. I heard people talk about how cutting helped you, But in my case it didn't I almost threw up my breakfast.

My mom felt my arm one day and started crying and asking me if I did it to myself. And in the following days she would always look at me weird and make me show her my arms and legs.

I stopped because it hurt and wasn't a good thing to help me.