Any good contemporary classical music?

I'm a 16 year-old female considered musically 'stupid' because I listen almost exclusively to music of the Western classical period - nothing really post-Stravinsky, and even then some of the more contemporary stuff bewilders me. Apparently, not being able to properly appreciate atonal music is the sign... show more I'm a 16 year-old female considered musically 'stupid' because I listen almost exclusively to music of the Western classical period - nothing really post-Stravinsky, and even then some of the more contemporary stuff bewilders me. Apparently, not being able to properly appreciate atonal music is the sign of a weak mind, but I really cannot find much contemporary classical music I enjoy (I am aware that not all contemporary music is atonal). Certainly I have not found any from this century. I am not strictly opposed to it, I simply do not comprehend most modern pieces. Is this a sign of musical immaturity? And if so, what should I do about it?

I had once considered entering the BBC's Young Composer competition, but having listened to the previous winners (http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/2010/youngcom... I have realized I am simply not avant-guarde enough, nor could I attempt to emulate this. I now feel quite musically inferior, as it seems nobody is of the opinion that my taste in music is even valid (I'm so stuck in the Baroque period that I am, it seems, clearly an idiot). Any suggestions?

N.B. I love Ravel and Respighi's orchestration, Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, Petroushka, Firebird, etc. and even [very sparing] Schoenberg. Debussy interests me - I abhor minimalism, and I'm afraid Berg does not really appear to be to my taste, either. I'd much prefer to listen to l'estro Armonico or something similar. There's nothing wrong with Mahler or Elgar or even Copland, I have even listened to Gorecki...but the amount of dissonance I can listen to while still completely enjoying the music is usually quite limited. The most atonal thing I've probably ever appreciated was Schoenberg's Peripetie from 5 Orchestral Pieces, and I'm fairly certain that's mainly due to over-exposure - I originally hated it.

I once believed that music was undergoing a continual state of degeneration, but I've been told that was ignorant, offensive and narrow-minded.