Someone using my email address for Facebook?

A few days ago I made a new email account and I just checked it about 10 minutes ago and I see that I've got a few emails from Facebook and I don't even have Facebook. I clicked on one of them and it says that someone has written on my wall. Another one said that someone has tagged me. I looked through... show more A few days ago I made a new email account and I just checked it about 10 minutes ago and I see that I've got a few emails from Facebook and I don't even have Facebook. I clicked on one of them and it says that someone has written on my wall. Another one said that someone has tagged me.
I looked through all of the emails and there isn't one asking to activate the account or anything so I'm now confused as I don't know if they're actually from Facebook or not.

What I want to know is:

1. Are the emails really from Facebook?
2. If they are real and someone has used my email address to make a Facebook account then how do I stop getting emails from them?

I don't want to deactivate their account cos I'd feel mean so I don't really know what to do.

Sorry if I've confused anyone. I confuse myself all the time. Hope it all makes sense.