How much do you really need to drink to cause long term liver damage?

Obviously the Government scare tactics are always going to give information that isnt necessarily correct and cetainly doesnt apply to everyone. Basically, my Father has been drinking everyday for about 40 years. He drinks on average 6 pints per day of cider, sometimes he drinks more like on family occasions when... show more Obviously the Government scare tactics are always going to give information that isnt necessarily correct and cetainly doesnt apply to everyone.
Basically, my Father has been drinking everyday for about 40 years. He drinks on average 6 pints per day of cider, sometimes he drinks more like on family occasions when we have wine etc and sometimes, but rarely he drinks less. He is 61 and doesnt show any signs of having liver problems but as he is getting older i worry about what this drinking could be doing to him and if he has consumed well over the recommended limit for 40 years now and nothing has happened to him yet but i wonder whether that will always be the case.
On the plus side he eats a very healthy diet and walks everyday and isnt overweight. I'm not sure whether to appraoch him or just leave him to it. To all health professionals, how much do you REALLY need to be drinking to cause serious liver damage, i've read if you consume half a bottle of something like whikey per day for over 10 years then you will do some damage and thats about 35 units per day so if my dad consuming say 12 units per day of non spirit alcohol will he be better off?