Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Do you think of atheism as a specific conscious thing or the default assumption?

That is, for you is atheism the belief that there is no God or the lack of belief in God? Or, if you don't define it that way, is it a "belief that X" or a "lack of belief that X"? Why?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

Are you my mummy?

• 1 decade ago

Atheism is a lack of belief in gods. As such it is the default position since when faced with a truth-claim the logical default is not to believe it.

Some atheists might go farther and believe there are no gods, but that is in excess of not believing in them. Thus the most inclusive definition of atheism, not believing in any gods, is the best IMHO.

• 1 decade ago

Delusions have to be instilled. The default assumption with no cultural indoctrination or peer pressure would be reality: atheism. Or, to phrase it more as you did, neither a "belief that X" nor a "lack of belief that X," but simply the absence of fantastical notions of deities.

• 1 decade ago

Lack of belief in godS. godSSSSSSSSSSS.

What is it with religious people and ignoring the ~3700 other god-notions in these type of arguments? "God". Seriously.

It is what happens when someone tells you about all these gods and you think "what nonsense, are these warm fuzzy feelings and this old book of myth all you got?". You've considered the claim, and rejected it. It isn't a belief in itself as much as your lack of belief in leprechauns or schnnztlypops isn't a belief.

Source(s): There are also atheists who have an active belief that no gods could possibly exist, this is atheism, but a stance distinct from mine.
  • 1 decade ago

A mixture of both, I wasn't that bothered by religion as a young child but at school we had religious assemblies every morning at so it was assumed that we all believed in a god. So I had to question those beliefs that it was assumed I had

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think it's the default assumption and Christianity is like an added extra dose of stupidity

• Nous
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It has to be both!

Mankind is over two MILLION years old and Christianity just two thousand years old so it is definitely the default!

But in modern times atheists were subject to the child abuse of being forced to be christian as very young children and escape thanks to education and growing intellect!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is belief based on the evidence.

• Karl
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

They believe a God can not/does not exist.

They are a anti religion, religions believe in a deity. So they deny one, so they are anti religion.

Religions, Believe there is a deity or deities.

Atheist: Anti religion, anti Christ. Seems to fit.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.