can port fowarding be a bad thing?

basically my friend is opening my port so we can set up a small server. i was just wondering if this means some one can hack my computer easier or something. Can this slow download speeds also? Is there anything bad that can happen by doing this?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best answer

Any time a service is public, there is a risk. You can mitigate the risks through proper configuration and a layered approach to security. I've run contests where I place an unpatched Windows 2000 or XP machine on a public IP, with no firewall and no software not present on the OS disc up for the taking. Using only OS configuration and common sense, they have never been compromised. Exploiting the service gets nothing if the machine is setup correctly.

That being said, your biggest risk is still from insecurity on your desktop. Browser exploits, rootkits in torrents, and everyday threats are your biggest worry.

If you want to minimize log related headaches, I'd advise blocking all IP ranges not specifically allocated to the US and Europe. That won't make things any more secure, but it cleans the logs up quite a bit.

Automatic block list creation: http://www.blockacountry.com/

• ?
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

That is the purpose of port forwarding. If we want to access application from the internet, port forwarding is needed. When you are in the internet anything can happen. There is a risk that it can be hacked. Make sure you make your server secured when you want it to be accessed from the internet...goodluck...jexter@eastern.com.ph

• 9 years ago

For a typical home network, port forwarding has no security implications. On typical home networks, inbound connections are not forwarded simply because the router has no idea how to forward them, not because of some particular security policy that the router is enforcing.

No, it won't slow download speeds.

• 3 years ago

Waste (additionally primary as rubbish, trash, refuse, rubbish, junk) is undesirable or ineffective supplies. clutter is waste which has been disposed of improperly. In biology, waste is any of the various undesirable components or pollution that are expelled from residing organisms; alongside with urea, sweat or feces. Waste is at as quickly as appropriate to human progression, the two technologically and socially. The compositions of diverse wastes have dissimilar over the years and site, with business progression and innovation being at as quickly as appropriate to waste fabric. Examples of this contain plastics and nuclear technologies. some aspects of waste have inexpensive fee and could be recycled as quickly as wisely recovered. Waste is each so often a subjective thought, because of the fact products that some human beings discard could have fee to others. it fairly is extensively regarded that waste fabric are a powerful source, whilst there is debate as to how this fee is acceptable found out. Such techniques are colloquially expressed in western custom by utilising idioms like "One guy's trash is yet another guy's treasure." there are various waste types defined by utilising modern-day systems of waste administration, quite including: Municipal Waste consists of family members waste, advertisement waste, demolition waste risky Waste consists of business waste Bio-scientific Waste consists of scientific waste specific risky waste consists of radioactive waste, Explosives waste, E-waste

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.